Well...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
    I don't have the Factory Suzuki book for the GS650GLZ but I do for a few others;if I did I would take a pic and send it to you so you could see exactly where they attach the ground wires to the frame.That's always the best place to install those.The ground wires are So important to complete the 12vt. DC connection for All of your electrical system;if you have a bad ground connection on that it can fry many components in your system and make it very expensive to repair.
    That is...not good.

I will leave the bike off until the grounding area is figured out.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
      That is...not good.

I will leave the bike off until the grounding area is figured out.

EDIT: Ian,I have edited my post #45 to mention the other way to see a good Ground- connection.I would think of getting your engine fully connecting/Grounding to the frame(shiny metal to metal)and use a motor mount bolt as the Main frame ground for those wires.The other thing to improve while you're at it is tightening down all the motor mount attachment bolts so your engine is tight in the frame and holding-tight to that Ground- connection through to the frame:it'll help your charging system and you'll have less vibtration,etc.A can of WD-40 will help un-seize some of those motor mount bolts that may be loose but the threads could be a bit seized from sitting un-moved for a long time.
      Last edited by grcamna2; 05-02-2021, 03:53 PM.

Comment

There’s a bunch of potential decent grounding spots. Remove the battery, find the metal plate that holds the r/r and stock ignitor. This is held on by two hex head bolts..remove one of these and clean up this spot for grounding. Ground the r/r and the dyna ground wire here, but also add a ground wire from here to battery negative...this ensures that both r/r and dyna see battery negative nicely.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
          GSRick is in Lake Mary, FL. I don't remember the name of the repair shop.
          He won't reply to your PM - he is banned from this forum.
          That is apparently untrue (the banned from this forum part). gsrick posted a for sale thread just this morning.

Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            There’s a bunch of potential decent grounding spots. Remove the battery, find the metal plate that holds the r/r and stock ignitor. This is held on by two hex head bolts..remove one of these and clean up this spot for grounding. Ground the r/r and the dyna ground wire here, but also add a ground wire from here to battery negative...this ensures that both r/r and dyna see battery negative nicely.
            Correct me if in wrong but wasnt the OEM R/R and ignitor back to back on each other and tightened down to the underside if the airbox? It's been a while
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

This is where I had those grounds at, so it is a secure ground? I'll clean it up if so.

Its directly on the frame
              Snapchat-317739936.jpg
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

This is where I had those grounds at, so it is a secure ground? I'll clean it up if so.

Its directly on the frame
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]62754[/ATTACH]

The battery box is rubber mounted and the only thing making contact is that little,tiny round collar in the middle of the rubber:not good enough.
                I would use the engine motor mount bolts as my Main ground and any other ground connections should go directly to that(or the battery negative terminal)or another place where the wires make solid,flat connections directly to the steel of the frame.

Comment

Video showing the ground off better
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

Picture of where it threads Snapchat-1410056284.jpg
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

[QUOTE=Rich82GS750TZ;2649797]That is apparently untrue (the banned from this forum part). gsrick posted a for sale thread just this morning.

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...SX1100G-4-sale[/QUOTE

My apologies to Rick! I must've dreamt that part up....
                      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

The battery box is rubber mounted and the only thing making contact is that little,tiny round collar in the middle of the rubber:not good enough.
                        I would use the engine motor mount bolts as my Main ground and any other ground connections should go directly to that(or the battery negative terminal)or another place where the wires make solid,flat connections directly to the steel of the frame.

Ian,please consider what I've written in this post and #47;there's no half-way measures when getting an electrical system Well grounded.

Comment

Ian,please consider what I've written in this post and #47;there's no half-way measures when getting an electrical system Well grounded.
                          Okay, sorry thought it looked substantial but I dont know much...lol

Gonna have to get some loop connections
                          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                          1982 XS650

Comment

Okay, sorry thought it looked substantial but I dont know much...lol

Gonna have to get some loop connections

A longer Neg.- battery cable

Comment

Sorry in advance, but this surely cant be used?

Its directly welded onto the frame, and inside threading is clean.

If not I'll be using the motor mount nearest to this spot as the ground.

Snapchat-884578506.jpg
                              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                              1982 XS650

Comment

I know these motor mounts and plenty of other bolts have never been moved so they will need help getting unstuck ifso.
                                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                                1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                                X