Which direction filter cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which direction filter cover?

Hello, I have a 1982 gs450t. I changed my oil yesterday and when I put the filter cover back on, I couldn’t remember if that little circle should be on the top or the bottom??? If you don’t know what I’m talking about, there is like a little circle that is next to one of the three holes where the bolts come through. I’m not sure what it’s there for...? Thank you!!!!!

DDED2045-485A-4C2C-AEA8-407B70A5A0E0.jpg
    this is what I’m talking about... I’m not sure if it matters if that circle is on top or bottom?? Thanks again!

Comment

Does not matter from what i have found
      sigpic
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thank you! It didn’t seem like it would make a difference, but I’m not really sure why it’s there either?!

Comment

Could it be a boss for the addition of an oil cooler or an oil pressure switch?
          Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-03-2021, 10:42 AM.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            Could it be a boss for the addition of an oil cooler or an oil pressure switch?
            That's what I thought. Is there anything coresponding on the inside of the cover? I'd think there's a right way to install it.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I can't believe what I'm reading. It's one of the two oil DRAIN plugs -- the other is on the bottom of the pan. There is nothing on the inside. It's a hole to help drain the oil when you don't need to change the filter.

It is not for an oil cooler or anything else.

And YES, it needs to be on the bottom, otherwise you can't drain the oil!!!

Besides, if I recall correctly, the filter cover can only be installed in one way.

Don't you have a manual???

I hope you installed the filter gasket carefully. It's easy to mess up -- and then you will have an oil leak that will cover your rear tire!
              Last edited by xkaes; 05-03-2021, 12:10 PM.
              sigpic
              '77 GS550B
              '78 GS550C

Comment

Originally posted by xkaes View Post
                I can't believe what I'm reading. It's one of the two oil DRAIN plugs -- the other is on the bottom of the pan. There is nothing on the inside. It's a hole to help drain the oil when you don't need to change the filter.

It is not for an oil cooler or anything else.

And YES, it needs to be on the bottom, otherwise you can't drain the oil!!!

Besides, if I recall correctly, the filter cover can only be installed in one way.

Don't you have a manual???

I hope you installed the filter gasket carefully. It's easy to mess up -- and then you will have an oil leak that will cover your rear tire!

I get what you’re saying, but it doesn’t go all the way through the metal. I’ve changed the oil a bunch over the years, and usually put it on the bottom, but last time I had the tires changed, the shop did the oil and put that circle on the top... I looked at a few pics and saw it both ways online. It looks like a drain, only it doesn’t actually open... it’s just raised on the surface. If you look at the inside, there is also a little indent, but it definitely doesn’t go through the cover. It’s solid... weird. Maybe it is for someone to drill out if they wanted to turn it into a drain...? I did put it on the bottom as you can see in the pic...

Comment

I don't have that bike, but on mine it goes all the way through. Maybe that's the way it's supposed to be on your bike -- but that would seem odd. Maybe someone modified it for some odd reason.

I can't tell from the picture, but on mine, it is a simple BOLT and washer. Yours kinda-sorta looks like an Allen wrench bolt -- perhaps put in by the factory or someone else. That type of plug is often used for drains -- it is on my Suzuki Sidekick! Check it out -- maybe it is a (5-8mm?) Allen plug.
                  Last edited by xkaes; 05-03-2021, 01:20 PM.
                  sigpic
                  '77 GS550B
                  '78 GS550C

Comment

Doesn’t go all the way through on the 550s and at least one other 450 I have seen
                    sigpic
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yeah- there’s no doubt that mine doesn’t go through. Gs450t. From the inside you can really tell. It’s smooth metal. Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I was a member here for several years but I haven’t posted in years- so I had to start a new account. Thanks again fellas-
                      steve

Comment

Interesting. It goes through on my 550B and 550C -- and the three service manuals I have (one Suzuki OEM) says it does. Maybe Suzuki changed it in later years, but why they would not simply remove it completely seems totally weird.
                        sigpic
                        '77 GS550B
                        '78 GS550C

Comment

Maybe Suzuki made a cheap/easy change to the existing molds eliminating the drain hole.
                          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Yes, apparently Suzuki made changes to the oil filter cover over time and removed the drain plug -- sorta.

In my service manual that covers only '77 & '78 GS550, it shows it and specifically says to remove it to drain the oil from the filter chamber.

oil1.jpg

But my other service manual that covers more years -- and the GS750 -- it says remove the oil filter drain plug "IF SO EQUIPPED" (see next post).

Looks like I have the Cadillac versions of the GS550.
                            sigpic
                            '77 GS550B
                            '78 GS550C

Comment

Here's the later manual:

oil2.jpg

I guess Suzuki figured it was cheaper to just "plug" the whole instead of removing it completely.

And as mentioned above, it apparently is possible to reposition the filter cover -- when your model lacks a REAL filter drain plug.

Of course, you can still remove the cover and drain the extra oil -- if you want. Just not quite as easy.
                              Last edited by xkaes; 05-03-2021, 04:58 PM.
                              sigpic
                              '77 GS550B
                              '78 GS550C

Comment

Working...
                              X