Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which direction filter cover?

Default Which direction filter cover?

Hello, I have a 1982 gs450t. I changed my oil yesterday and when I put the filter cover back on, I couldnít remember if that little circle should be on the top or the bottom??? If you donít know what Iím talking about, there is like a little circle that is next to one of the three holes where the bolts come through. Iím not sure what itís there for...? Thank you!!!!!

DDED2045-485A-4C2C-AEA8-407B70A5A0E0.jpg
    this is what I’m talking about... I’m not sure if it matters if that circle is on top or bottom?? Thanks again!

cowboyup3371 is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Does not matter from what i have found

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Thank you! It didnít seem like it would make a difference, but Iím not really sure why itís there either?!

Could it be a boss for the addition of an oil cooler or an oil pressure switch?
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-03-2021 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    Could it be a boss for the addition of an oil cooler or an oil pressure switch?
    That's what I thought. Is there anything coresponding on the inside of the cover? I'd think there's a right way to install it.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

I can't believe what I'm reading. It's one of the two oil DRAIN plugs -- the other is on the bottom of the pan. There is nothing on the inside. It's a hole to help drain the oil when you don't need to change the filter.

It is not for an oil cooler or anything else.

And YES, it needs to be on the bottom, otherwise you can't drain the oil!!!

Besides, if I recall correctly, the filter cover can only be installed in one way.

Don't you have a manual???

I hope you installed the filter gasket carefully. It's easy to mess up -- and then you will have an oil leak that will cover your rear tire!
    Last edited by xkaes; 05-03-2021 at 12:10 PM.
    '77 GS550B
    '78 GS550C

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I can't believe what I'm reading. It's one of the two oil DRAIN plugs -- the other is on the bottom of the pan. There is nothing on the inside. It's a hole to help drain the oil when you don't need to change the filter.

It is not for an oil cooler or anything else.

And YES, it needs to be on the bottom, otherwise you can't drain the oil!!!

Besides, if I recall correctly, the filter cover can only be installed in one way.

Don't you have a manual???

I hope you installed the filter gasket carefully. It's easy to mess up -- and then you will have an oil leak that will cover your rear tire!

I get what youíre saying, but it doesnít go all the way through the metal. Iíve changed the oil a bunch over the years, and usually put it on the bottom, but last time I had the tires changed, the shop did the oil and put that circle on the top... I looked at a few pics and saw it both ways online. It looks like a drain, only it doesnít actually open... itís just raised on the surface. If you look at the inside, there is also a little indent, but it definitely doesnít go through the cover. Itís solid... weird. Maybe it is for someone to drill out if they wanted to turn it into a drain...? I did put it on the bottom as you can see in the pic...

I don't have that bike, but on mine it goes all the way through. Maybe that's the way it's supposed to be on your bike -- but that would seem odd. Maybe someone modified it for some odd reason.

I can't tell from the picture, but on mine, it is a simple BOLT and washer. Yours kinda-sorta looks like an Allen wrench bolt -- perhaps put in by the factory or someone else. That type of plug is often used for drains -- it is on my Suzuki Sidekick! Check it out -- maybe it is a (5-8mm?) Allen plug.
    Last edited by xkaes; 05-03-2021 at 01:20 PM.
    '77 GS550B
    '78 GS550C

cowboyup3371 is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Doesn’t go all the way through on the 550s and at least one other 450 I have seen

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"