No announcement yet.

Emgo air filter vs. OEM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just received an Emgo air filter for a bike I'm working on and it looks to be of good quality. Paper element looks OK and the foam seal is thick as an OEM.
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

I think Emgo, HiFlo, and OEM all filter dirt well enough; the main difference I've found is that they can vary in their effect on carburetion. Some bikes are very touchy about this, some don't seem to notice, and sometimes aftermarket filter designs are much closer to OEM than others.

I've had a couple of Suzuki VX800s, for example, and they will NOT run right with anything but OEM air filters, air boxes, and snorkels oriented exactly correctly. I've never encountered another motorcycle quite that picky about air flow.

On Suzuki V-Stroms, the HiFloFiltro air filter works perfectly well and is a little cheaper and usually faster to get than the OEM.

And on any Suzuki shaftie, aftermarket foam air filter elements from Uni work fine, but you also have to make sure the air filter and air box are sealed, and that the snorkel on the back of the airbox is in place.

Anyway, slap that Emgo in there and see if you notice any difference!
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I've ordered the Emgo $12, and in the name of science, also the Hiflo $22 w/ shipping. I'll use them both eventually. Should be here early next week. I'll see what I can see.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Here, I think, is the definitive answer to Emgo vs. Hiflo Air Filter:

Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Interesting.
            Thanks, Rich.
            Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
            1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
            1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Working...
            X