82 GS 1100l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS 1100l

hi I just bought 2 1982 GS 1100l complete bikes and a few boxes of parts for $1k.im hoping to build one great bike to ride and sell the other and all the parts I don`t need when i get done.im hoping this will be a bike that stays with me for many years to come so any tips will be greatly appreciated. the one i am building myself has 11,ooo original miles. thanks in advance! sincerely, Jlight

Welcome to the forum.

Nice score on those bikes. Tips? Where to start. Here's a couple of places to start.

1A) (NEW) Trying to diagnose running problems on a bike with an unknown maintenance history. Common maintenance items like clean carbs, properly adjusted valves, no air leaks in the intake system (airbox, carb boots), a clean gas tank (no rust), and a properly functioning petcock are 100% mandatory for the bike to run properly.

That should get you plenty to read for starters.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Sounds like a plan. New to bikes, or seasoned bike nut? How'd you get into this project? Owned GS's before? Not that it matters. Congrats & welcome.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Is it an L (chain drive) or a GL (shaft drive)?
        If it's a shaft, (if they're both shafties) it may be worthwhile to check out the drive guts in the rear assembly -- there's a part in the 82s they used a metal that was too soft, and the splines wear out overquickly.

This is a great site, no matter your experience level! Welcome!
        "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

If by "build" you mean cut-it-up, I would suggest get it running right first.

82 GL (shaft), yah, Like FK said, learn about the hub in the rear wheel. Is called "joint assembly" on microfiche.

Pictures would help.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

FK, I meant KF, Kerrfunk

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

it is a GL .i have 3 drive assemblys so i will find the best one,thanks!

Comment

i do plan on getting it running first,the o rings and carb filters just came today.this is not my first bike,ive had several through the years.i had a 86 yamaha maxim 750 shaft drive which i loved but had to sell,and just recently had a 96 triumph trophy that i put a ton of money into only for a main bearing to go bad.i didnt have the resources to fix it at the time so i sold it and used the money to buy these 2.i will post pics when i figure out how to get them from my phone to computer.

Comment

It is possible to forgo the computer and post pics from your phone. A bit tricky, but once you know how, it gets easier the more you do it. Link in my signature about using Imgur.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by jlight View Post
                    it is a GL .i have 3 drive assemblys so i will find the best one,thanks!
                    The one that wears out is a gold color. The good one is a gray steel color.
                    Current Bikes:
                    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Not new to bikes is a really good head start. Won't need to worry about any main bearings. What he said about the colors of the final drive gears. Dig in & keep us updated.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                      X