GS 1150 Carburetor Throttle Valve Slide Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1150 Carburetor Throttle Valve Slide Question

Hi Suzuki GS fans, I haven't been on this forum in a long time. I’ve been riding GS1150’s since 1984. I had a Red one that I road into the ground. In 1993 I bought a blue one. I had that one ever since. In 2013 the bike got into an accident. It sat in my garage for a long time. I would start it up every so often but it was not ridable. For the last 2 years I’ve been putting it back together. I’m making it look more like the E model with no faring. I have pods and 4 into 1 Vance and Hines exhaust. In the late 2000 decade I sent the carburetors to a guy in Texas for him to rebuild. Then I had a local shop install the jet kit. I was always mechanically inclined, but shied away from carburetors. Fast forward to today, I am cleaning and replacing parts on the carbs myself. So, I have a question about the stock Mikuni Carbs (I.D. No. 00A10). I went through the process of taking apart and cleaning them. I thought all the “throttle valve slides” where the same. I did not label the slides when I pulled them out. To my surprise the hole on the bottom next to the jet needle are different sizes. Two are the same width and the other two are the same with each other but larger than the first pair. Why is this and what is the correct placement for what cylinder? I have the original 1150 repair manual and it didn’t say anything about that. On the specification sheet it written that the main jet size for 1 and 4 cylinders is #120, and 2 and 3 is #122.5. Presently I have #132 for all the main jets. The specs ask for pilot jet to be #45 and I have all #50’s. Specs say for pilot air jet to be #125 and I have all #115’s. I do understand why the jet sizing is different from stock. The engine itself is all stock.

For my pilot screws, the positioning I have,

Cylinder#1- 3.75 turns out from closed position.
    Cylinder#2- 3.25 turns out from closed position.
    Cylinder#3- 3.875 turns out from closed position.
    Cylinder#4- 3.5 turns out from closed position.

Everything I researched so far suggests pilot screws should be the same number of turns, and after 3 and a half turns the pilot jet should be increased in size. Does anyone have any opinions? I will be retuning them myself.
    The bike ran well before the accident with this setup.

Thanks, it’s good to be back with The GS Resource!

Marc
    Attached Files

Suzuki 13500-00A10 DIAPHRAGM

All diaphragm's are the same. Someone drilled the hole oversize on your slide(s). That's standard practice when installing a Dynojet jet kit. I'm not sure why the holes are different sizes, poor workmanship may be to blame.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

At the time the bike was in pristine condition when I brought it to the shop for jetting. No scratches in the black paint. After I got the bike home, I noticed on top of the transmission box was all scratched up from the overflow screws of the carburetors hitting it from removal and attaching. I went back and complained. I remember saying to them, "Where's the workmanship!" Not to say they did it, but it makes me wonder. Thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

I got a pretty good answer from a guy on the Facebook page called “The Suzuki EFE,1150 Appreciation Club”. The larger holes are there to allow the slides to FALL faster. When you go to individual filters, they tend to hang when you go from 3/4 throttle or higher to off. And they do it on the 2 outside carbs because they become affected by air pressure related to speed.

Comment

Working...
        X