No announcement yet.

Cu head gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over on ADVrider.com, I've seen several similar experiments in 3D printing intake boots and other unobtanium rubber bits. Some seem to be holding up quite well in service.

As this gets figured out, it's going to revolutionize vintage motorcycling. If you think getting rubber bits for an old Suzuki streetbike is difficult, try keeping an old Bultaco or Hodaka alive.

Even if the parts have a limited lifespan, they could still be extremely useful. Something that only reliably lasts 500 hours would still get you many years on a vintage machine.

I'm also looking forward to prices and access getting more reasonable for 3D printed metal parts. Printed reproductions of metal parts have already been used in many high-dollar car restorations, and printed tools, jigs, sheet metal forming bucks, etc. are very promising.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

JBM Industries rubber carburetor holder socket boots, flange intake sockets, vibration isolators, stainless steel exhaust springs, for Rotax 912, 582, 503, 447, 377, Zenoah & HKS engines. Yamaha 650 SX & TX Mikuni BS-38 & 34 CV carbs. Diaphragms & holders.

These guys would be cheaper and easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
        Well. There it is. I don't see why that shouldn't work, at least for a while. I haven't printed enough TPU to know, but I expect support removal to be a nightmare. Did you pause the print and insert the plate where the support would have been?

This project just keeps getting more interesting. Lots of experiments. Usually, we're more focused on fixes we already know will work.
        No Dog, the metal bracket is an interfering fit with the boot, "bonded" togheter with RTV silicon.
        GS1000G '81

Comment

Originally posted by bitzz View Post
          http://www.jbmindustries.com/index.html
          These guys would be cheaper and easier.
          I might be wrong but, most of the guys here, are more into promoting self-improvement through a trial and error process, than saving a penny. Self esteem is not something you can put a price on.
          On the other hand, nothing wrong with pursuing the beaten track of purchasing whatever; afterall most of us, me included, cannot/prefer not to spatiate, for whatever reason, 360° around bike maintenance.​
          GS1000G '81

Comment

For 3D related stuff, please refer to:
            GS1000G '81

Comment

Working...
            X