Tokico brake upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tokico brake upgrade

Changing my single piston standard brake caliper on my GS1000C to a twin piston from an SV650 , as far as I am aware the master cylinder on my model has a 16mm bore so expect i will need to go up in size , does anyone have any recommendations for a new master cylinder. Will the master cylinder from the twin disc GS1000 work ?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Highway star View Post
    Changing my single piston standard brake caliper on my GS1000C to a twin piston from an SV650 , as far as I am aware the master cylinder on my model has a 16mm bore so expect i will need to go up in size , does anyone have any recommendations for a new master cylinder. Will the master cylinder from the twin disc GS1000 work ?
    Any master with a 5/8" or 16mm bore will work.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

is that caliper a direct bolt on replacement or have you modified it to fit?
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I am going to modify the bracket from the SV to fit

Comment

Originally posted by Highway star View Post
          I am going to modify the bracket from the SV to fit
          Post some pics of how you modify it, folks here are always interested in easy brake upgrades.
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

No problem will do

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
              Post some pics of how you modify it, folks here are always interested in easy brake upgrades.
              Agreed. If possible the year of the SV caliper and mounting bracket would also be helpful.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks my mistake thinking my present bore is 16mm, it being actually 14mm since discovered after doing some research.
                Part number for master cylinder piston on single disc model 59600-33810 14mm
                Part number for master cylinder piston on twin disc set up 59600-47810 16mm

Comment

Have you talked to Salty Monk on here or read his thread about the twinpot upgrade? He made brackets to fit the Kawasaki style of twinpots so maybe that will work for you.

sigpic
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

15160418450000836fd4a8895f30e by Dennis Harland, on Flickr

My take on the salty monk twinpot upgrade. Small steel bracket between fork and caliper carrier. I use a Bandit 12 master cylinder.
                    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                      is that caliper a direct bolt on replacement or have you modified it to fit?
                      The short answer is no. I few years ago, got a complete front braking system for 06 sv650s for real cheap. I deemed the calipers too much work for a retrofit so I binned them. I ended up using the 650s MC, two stainless lines, antidive delete, overhauled stock calipers and new ceramic pads. All this made a very noticeable difference. Totally happy with the front brakes.
                      1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                        Have you talked to Salty Monk on here or read his thread about the twinpot upgrade? He made brackets to fit the Kawasaki style of twinpots so maybe that will work for you.

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...hlight=twinpot
                        Yes read them thanks. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I will have the template made up for the sv caliper and post pics as it progresses

Comment

The new style bracket already fits the SV caliper... I'm using them now. They are also on the V-strom and the EX650

Your stock master will work. Single brake model are usually 14mm piston.

If using it on a single brake model you need to use a Disk from a Honda Blackbird.

We used a simple strap bracket in the early days as UK GS NUT has done but it's not totally safe as you're relying on the torque on the bolts only to stop it rotating around the caliper. It's meant to be triangulated back so that can't happen. I'm surprised you can get a kosher MOT in the UK with it like that.

This is the single brake thread:

Last edited by salty_monk; 05-13-2021, 01:35 AM.
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I'll just leave this here.

received_468036703974404 by Dennis Harland, on Flickr
                            My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

[RegQUOTE=salty_monk;2651246]The new style bracket already fits the SV caliper... I'm using them now. They are also on the V-strom and the EX650

Your stock master will work. Single brake model are usually 14mm piston.

If using it on a single brake model you need to use a Disk from a Honda Blackbird.

We used a simple strap bracket in the early days as UK GS NUT has done but it's not totally safe as you're relying on the torque on the bolts only to stop it rotating around the caliper. It's meant to be triangulated back so that can't happen. I'm surprised you can get a kosher MOT in the UK with it like that.

This is the single brake thread:

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...00C&highlight=[/QUOTE] regarding disc from honda blackbird, can you tell me what year as I've read they changed dimensions in 1999

Comment

Working...
                              X