New guy getting wrecked so far! .. 80 850g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy getting wrecked so far! .. 80 850g

I just made this account, while I say “new” guy I do have quite a few reading hours under my belt on this site. I just picked up an 80 gs850 for 300$ It needs incredible amounts of work which I fully understood when deciding to purchase it. It has sat since 2014. First I did a compression test to see if it was worth getting running as the motor sits or if I should plan on a rebuild. While the numbers are low ( according to harbor freight compression tester) they are consistent. (85-95 psi) BUT I soon learned that #3 cylinder spark plug hole is boogered up.. used a back tap on it and while you have to be extremely careful putting the plug in it threads and torques correctly.. I’m sure that will be a problem later as it’s still not great. I thought I would try to get it running even with the low numbers... among other things I haven’t shimmed valves before doing test (was just excited to hear it crank) getting ahead of myself I know. That was defeat #1. #2 came when I took off the stator cover (thinking it was dry) a whole bunch of oil mixed with gas came out of it. Later learning the stator runs in oil I drained it all properly.. no biggie. I actually didn’t realize you don’t have to pull that cover to get the starter out but whatever... good to know. Now let’s move on to carbs... EVERY SINGLE Phillips screw was a PITA!! Once again getting ahead of myself, no heat, not letting sit in WD I used an “impact driver” (really just regular screw driver with a hammer) and broke them all free. Was un ganging the carbs and dropped one off the workbench breaking the carb body itself. The corner with the threads that hold the top diaphragm cap on broke off... ordered a used set of carbs on eBay for 80$ they are all repairable (Albeit very very nasty) EXCEPT the #4 carb that I need is not usable... hole in throttle body and cracked elsewhere on the carb. Wasn’t in the description for them on eBay, I guess that’s what you get finding carbs that cheap had to be wrong. Anyway I’m not giving up, just not getting very far so far.... long post I know... wanted to thank everyone for the awesome information on here and if anybody needs carb parts for #1-3 let me know!! You guys rock.

pic of dropped carburetor... hard pill to swallow right there...
    D49C6C28-CD7F-40C3-80B6-BC8EACBBF503.jpg

Comment

Welcome to the site. Don't feel bad, we've all been there. I once bought a crashed ZX10R off the internet for a project.
      Supposedly had a "slightly bent but fixable frame " I counted at least 15 cracks in it when I finally got a look at it.

Mad
      83 GS750E
      2006 ZX14
      2004 KTM 450 EXC
      2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Would JB weld fix that? Well enough to use, and to stay fixed?
        Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
        1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
        1981 GS1100E

Comment

I’m gonna give that a shot. Hard to find carbs that aren’t out of my budget. I mean as long as the diaphragm seals, 🤷🏻*@%^$♂️🤷🏻*@%^$♂️

Comment

Thanks for posting- nice to know i am not the only one struggling with a gs. I bought 2 550’s a 79 and an 80. Both non-running. The 79 i had the carbs tanked and did a full tuneup and took care of a lot of deferred maintenance, the bike is a joy to ride. The 80 AKA the bad bike i have spent a ton of money on and it’s still not right....on the plus side i am getting better at removing and installing carbs😀 if anyone knows a carb whisperer that i could hire...
            sigpic 79 gs550 80 gs550 250 rebel

Comment

There’s a guy on here I can’t remember who but a search should find him... a lot of members send their carbs to him to rebuild, as far as tuning them idk how he could help without having the whole bike but I would read up on the adjustments on here and maybe go through and make sure everything is perfect. You could have something as simple as 2 orings on your air fuel screw or something like that... I did some jb welding and just installed the diagram today and it functions normally so I guess I’m gonna run with that.. I don’t like it but if it works it works. Now on to the wiring and fuel tank so I can try to fire it. Once I know it will run I’ll start rebuilding the brakes and new tires and start getting it road ready.. still a long road ahead. The wiring looks like it’s gonna be a nightmare as well the previous owner has crappy connectors and wire nuts everywhere. Honestly thinking about just starting over 🤷🏻*@%^$♂️

Comment

Originally posted by Sour751 View Post
                ...Now let’s move on to carbs... EVERY SINGLE Phillips screw was a PITA!!...
                That's because they're not Phillips, they're JIS (Japanese Industrial standard) This is true of every "Phillips" screw on Japanese bikes
                A proper JIS screwdriver will fit the screw heads much better (the difference is amazing) and save you a lot of grief.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Get the set of three, and maybe an extra #2. It'll be the best money you've ever spent on tools.
                Last edited by RichDesmond; 05-09-2021, 12:42 PM.
                '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Why didn't someone bring this up back in the day, I don't think even our local shop knew. Just heard of it in the past few yrs. A phillips head screwdriver without an impact driver is just asking for trouble. JIS works great.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I’ve been meaning to order a set, I know it’s not correct term but that’s just what comes out based on everything I’ve ever known! I need to order a set for sure! Thanks for the link.. I’ve managed to get em all out so far and replacing them with stainless Allen head bolts and going heavy on the anti seize! Shouldn’t have any problems in the future!

Comment

Working...
                    X