Spark issue on all four plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark issue on all four plugs

Bike just suddenly died on idle and won't start, kept trying to start it untill battery died.

I charged the battery over night voltage now is 12.7 connected it to the bike and tried to start it, I hear 1 cylinder fire when I let go of the start button it back fires, atried a couple of times and it did the same thing, removed the spark plugs and they are all wet and smells like gas, check for compression and it's good, gas is definitely there, checked the spark plug and they looked fouled, cleaned the spark plug and tested it on the valve cover for spark, spark plug from cylinder 1 and 4 has no spark, but the plugs on cylinder 2 and 3 when I press the start button it will spark once only then when I release the start button it will spark continuesly for a few seconds maybe 5-8 seconds, so I traced the wires from the ignition coils to the igniter unit no wires seems to be stripped so I decided to clean the contacts with a contact cleaner, plug it back in and check all plugs again, this time all 4 plugs has spark, put it all back together and start the bike and it did no problem, did it couple of times rev it and check if battery is charging, everything seems to be good or so I thought, at one point after reving the bike up to 5000rpm it went back to idle then after a few seconds it bogs done and died again and again it won't start and back fires, removed all plugs again this time plug 1 and 4 has no spark plug 2 and 3 only spark once while start button is pressed then sparks once again after releasing the start button I re checked the cables again repluging them making sure everyrhing is connected properly but still the same no spark on cylinder 1 and 4 and just one spark when pressing the start button and another spark when I release the start button on cylinder 2 and 3... Help!
    Last edited by Eidollan; 05-06-2021, 04:37 PM.
    1983 GS750ES

Wow. That is the longest sentence I’ve ever tried to read. Sorry, no help with the issue. But maybe edit your post and throw in a period once in a while. Hit the return button a few time in the middle.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

And maybe add the make, year, and model of the bike so when the experts arrive they can get right to it.
      Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
      1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
      1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Originally posted by pdqford View Post
        And maybe add the make, year, and model of the bike so when the experts arrive they can get right to it.
        The make and model of my bike is on my signature
        1983 GS750ES

Comment

Originally posted by Eidollan View Post
          The make and model of my bike is on my signature
          Many Thanks.
          Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
          1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
          1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Bike just suddenly died on idle and won't start, kept trying to start it untill battery died.

I charged the battery over night

voltage now is 12.7

connected it to the bike and tried to start it,

I hear 1 cylinder fire when I let go of the start button it back fires, atried a couple of times and it did the same thing, removed the spark plugs and they are all wet and smells like gas,

check for compression and it's good, gas is definitely there, checked the spark plug and they looked fouled,
            cleaned the spark plug and tested it on the valve cover for spark, spark plug from cylinder 1 and 4 has no spark, but the plugs on cylinder 2 and 3 when I press the start button it will spark once only then when I release the start button it will spark continuesly for a few seconds maybe 5-8 seconds,

so I traced the wires from the ignition coils to the igniter unit no wires seems to be stripped so I decided to clean the contacts with a contact cleaner, plug it back in and check all plugs again,
            this time all 4 plugs has spark, put it all back together and start the bike and it did no problem,

did it couple of times rev it and check if battery is charging, everything seems to be good or so I thought, at one point after reving the bike up to 5000rpm it went back to idle then after a few seconds it bogs done and died again and again it won't start and back fires,
            removed all plugs again this time plug 1 and 4 has no spark plug 2 and 3 only spark once while start button is pressed then sparks once again after releasing the start button

I re checked the cables again repluging them making sure everyrhing is connected properly but still the same no spark on cylinder 1 and 4 and just one spark when pressing the start button and another spark when I release the start button on cylinder 2 and 3... Help!
            Let me read it now.

.... when I release the start button it will spark continuesly for a few seconds maybe 5-8 seconds,.
            .....plug 2 and 3 only spark once while start button is pressed then sparks once again after releasing the start button. .
            ...... one spark when pressing the start button and another spark when I release the start button on cylinder 2 and 3... Help!
            Classic sign of weak-marginal battery or maybe battery is just not well charged. WHile cranking the draw of the starter is a big load on the battrery which is lowering the voltage enough that the ignition system cant work well enough. A good battery well charged can handle that, but a weak-old-marginal battery can not, or maybe battery is good but not welll charged due to problem with the charging system.
            ANd you did say it did start after charging the battery with a charger, so that supports my idea.

SOme things to do:

- Charge battery again.

- Take charger off for half hour or more. Key off. Measure battery voltage. Key On, measure battery voltage. Measure voltage at the coils org/wht wire (need to take tank off.) Measure battery voltage while cranking starter. Measure voltage at coils while cranking starter. Report back here.

Last edited by Redman; 05-06-2021, 09:56 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              Let me read it now.

Classic sign of weak-marginal battery or maybe battery is just not well charged. WHile cranking the draw of the starter is a big load on the battrery which is lowering the voltage enough that the ignition system cant work well enough. A good battery well charged can handle that, but a weak-old-marginal battery can not, or maybe battery is good but not welll charged due to problem with the charging system.
              ANd you did say it did start after charging the battery with a charger, so that supports my idea.

SOme things to do:

- Charge battery again.

- Take charger off for half hour or more. Key off. Measure battery voltage. Key On, measure battery voltage. Measure voltage at the coils org/wht wire (need to take tank off.) Measure battery voltage while cranking starter. Measure voltage at coils while cranking starter. Report back here.

Thanks will do that. I did notice something weird while double checking the wires, I notice one of the ignition coil is hot the one for cylinder 2 and 3 while the ignition coil for 1and4 is cold
              1983 GS750ES

Comment

Thanks will do that. I did notice something weird while double checking the wires, I notice one of the ignition coil is hot the one for cylinder 2 and 3 while the ignition coil for 1and4 is cold
                If you mean when it’s not running,but ignition is “on” ,this is normal. The ignitor powers one set of coils...then breaks the electrical connection to produce a spark just like a contact point would.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Bike just suddenly died on idle and won't start, kept trying to start it untill battery died. ... Help!

Either you had an almost dead battery to begin with, or you started out on the wrong foot. If a bike won't start after a few tries, don't keep trying -- find out what the problem is.

Do you have a service manual or at least a trouble-shooting guide? We can help, but having one of these will tell you step by step what to check out. What you are likely to get here is 100 well-intentioned things to try in no particular order -- much like what you are already doing.

Have you had any problems in the past? What is the most recent servicing/maintenance on the bike -- when and by whom? How old is the battery?
                  sigpic
                  '77 GS550B
                  '78 GS550C

Comment

One coil or its connection seems bad. (the 1+4 one). Or the TCI (ignitor) on that works that coil. Or the sensor that fires the TCI for that coil....first check the wiring because apparently it works sometimes...

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                      One coil or its connection seems bad. (the 1+4 one). Or the TCI (ignitor) on that works that coil. Or the sensor that fires the TCI for that coil....first check the wiring because apparently it works sometimes...
                      What confuses me is if its the TCI should it not give spark at all? Because what happening is when I press the start button it gives one spark on all four then when I release the button it gives another spark.
                      Last edited by Eidollan; 05-07-2021, 12:42 PM.
                      1983 GS750ES

Comment

Originally posted by xkaes View Post
                        Either you had an almost dead battery to begin with, or you started out on the wrong foot. If a bike won't start after a few tries, don't keep trying -- find out what the problem is.

Do you have a service manual or at least a trouble-shooting guide? We can help, but having one of these will tell you step by step what to check out. What you are likely to get here is 100 well-intentioned things to try in no particular order -- much like what you are already doing.

Have you had any problems in the past? What is the most recent servicing/maintenance on the bike -- when and by whom? How old is the battery?
                        Yes I have a copy of the service manual.

Battery is a year and a half I just finish charging the battery its giving 12.8v

Issues I had in the past was only the ground wire plug contacts from the battery was dirty so I replaced the contacts.

Servicing was almost 2 months ago, full carb clean, oil change, throttle cable change, break fluid change, that's it. Brought it to a mech I know personaly.
                        1983 GS750ES

Comment

What confuses me is if its the TCI should it not give spark at all? Because what happening is when I press the start button it gives one spark on all four then when I release the button it gives another spark.
                          Just remember a coil of wire with voltage and current is a magnet and turning OFF that voltage and current creates a collapsing magnetic field cutting the coils wire creating it's own electricity! When you turn off the power to a coil, the field collapses. So turning off power to a coil does not exactly end everything instantly. There is thereby some electricity looking for a home and it will jump an airspace if that's the only possible way..
                          The starting button spins the engine with the starter motor via the solenoid. If the spin of the engine stops, and gives no signal to the tci, the coils remain "charged" until you turn the key or the kill switch off, when, they might then cause another spark at the plugs as the coil collapses. I'm not saying your TCI is blown. But it can still allow spark if it's allowing power through the coils and that power is then cut off another way.
                          Last edited by Gorminrider; 05-07-2021, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                            Just remember a coil of wire with voltage and current is a magnet and turning OFF that voltage and current creates a collapsing magnetic field cutting the coils wire creating it's own electricity! When you turn off the power to a coil, the field collapses. So turning off power to a coil does not exactly end everything instantly. There is thereby some electricity looking for a home and it will jump an airspace if that's the only possible way..
                            The starting button spins the engine with the starter motor via the solenoid. If the spin of the engine stops, and gives no signal to the tci, the coils remain "charged" until you turn the key or the kill switch off, when, they might then cause another spark at the plugs as the coil collapses. I'm not saying your TCI is blown. But it can still allow spark if it's allowing power through the coils and that power is then cut off another way.
                            Thanks for making me understand that not really good with electrical things but I want to learn
                            1983 GS750ES

Comment

. . . . . . . I did notice something weird while double checking the wires, I notice one of the ignition coil is hot the one for cylinder 2 and 3 while the ignition coil for 1and4 is cold
                              I dont know.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                              X