Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coil relay mod

Quote Originally Posted by Grimly View Post
    When you say 7.5V at the coils, is that with the coil-to-ignitor lead disconnected?
    Probe on positive and negative connection on coil connections, how should I do it? Ignitor is gone
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ

Want a "twin" for my bike

Quote Originally Posted by timebombprod View Post
    That's what I've been doing, ive cleaned anything that goes with the ignition and I did gain about a volt back but in still at 7.5volts at the coils, assuming that putting the positive probe on the positive coil connection and negative probe on the negative connection to see the total voltage.
    A voltage drop test walks you through the wiring to the coil, and will locate the exact spot where the drop occurs. Possibly you need to take a look at the voltage drop test process, it is only way to effectively find this type of problem.
    1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by metalfab View Post
    A voltage drop test walks you through the wiring to the coil, and will locate the exact spot where the drop occurs. Possibly you need to take a look at the voltage drop test process, it is only way to effectively find this type of problem.
    I have been doing voltage drop testing, I'm gonna have to test the ignition switch connections and the only other thing would be where the killswitch and coil wires meet. I know in losing a little over a volt between the fusebox and killswitch, both have been cleaned up but I still do have that loss making me think its in between. I just hate to own the harness to get to that bit.

Everything i cleaned wasnt really in bad shape at all and everything performs as it should.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ

Well, after cleaning all I could, and tracing the voltage loss, it came to my dyna S, called ul dynatek for a resistance test and it passes the test aswell as the coilpacks. He said hes gonna send some stuff out to ensure i get 12 volts to the coils and ignition, and I asked if it's a coil relay mod and sure enough it was.

I'm gonna go in that direction, because honestly the only way I see getting voltage back is replacing more things and resoldering things and I'd just rather do this since my ignition is the only thing that keeps failing on me.

We'll see how it goes and hopefully I can ride without worry after this. The only thing left (never is with this bike) is doing the fork seals and getting my horn setup correctly.

Will give an update when the mod is finished and successful
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ

Just my .02
    The wiring on old bikes is horrible. I eliminate the old wiring and go to a modern fuse box and centralize the ground point. I also upgrade to the Dyna ignition pickup and coils. It's much cleaner and simple. You can easily add a contact to your system for the coils only. Also, make sure the coils are grounded well. If there is paint or rust insulating the coils, they will be affected.
    coil.jpg
    2016 Ducati 1299s
    1989 BMW K100RS
    1982 GS1100E-current build
    1980 GS1000E-sold
    1982 GS1100L-sold
    1982 CX500-sold

Quote Originally Posted by winmag4582001 View Post
    Just my .02
    The wiring on old bikes is horrible. I eliminate the old wiring and go to a modern fuse box and centralize the ground point. I also upgrade to the Dyna ignition pickup and coils. It's much cleaner and simple. You can easily add a contact to your system for the coils only. Also, make sure the coils are grounded well. If there is paint or rust insulating the coils, they will be affected.
    coil.jpg
    I'd be redoing the wiring if I had the knowledge, maybe when I have another bike and the confidence to do so.

I have both dyna ignition and coils just not nearly enough voltage to support them.

Will sand the paint off coil mounts forsure thanks.

I can agree on the wiring and there is a bunch of it, I'd be eliminating a good bit if I redid the setup
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ