GS1000s Clutch Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000s Clutch Help

I have been having issues with the clutch not disengaging since I got the bike after it sat for about 15 years. I have been having to rev the bike up pretty good and pop the bike in gear standing on the rear brake to free up the plates.

This morning I pulled the clutch apart thinking I could could just replace the fiber plates and found some odd things.

The steel plates were pretty rusty looking so I have decided to replace the steels and not just the fibers. The clutch basket had the usual wear except for one spot in the inner basket that had some weird damage on it. Can the damage on the inner basket on the top be cleaned up with a file and be ok? The rest of the basket looks like normal wear.

Thanks for the help!

Replace it....................
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

You can clean it up and use it. Just use emery cloth... I would run those steels even. Just make sure they're flat. This is of course, unless you're planning on dumping the clutch at 5000 rpms...

Ask me how I know..
      .06.25.20 566.jpg
      Current:
      1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
      1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
      1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
      1998 Chevy C2500
      1999 Rav4

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        Replace it....................
        What he said!
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
        1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
        1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
        1982 GS1100E
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Clean it up and reuse. Even the steels will clean up on a wire wheel.
          That center's hardly worn.

Comment

Me, I'd clean up & reuse everything. Bill Gates would probably put all in new. I feel either way should be fine.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Yep, clean it up and put it back in OEM are really expensive if you can get just dress that damage with a fine file. That business of standing on the brake and slamming it gear is only brutally destructive.
              The way to do it is to take the bike for a ride with the clutch in until it frees off, you can easily start it in first and shift without a clutch. It will free off. Some take longer than others but they always go.
              sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

In fact looking closely at the photo of an obviously originally very nice inner low mileage clutch hub it looks proper buggered.
                *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ed clutch.jpg

apart from the obvious, there's some misshape and some cracking going on there.
                Replace it as Chuck says
                Last edited by tatu; 05-11-2021, 02:54 PM.
                sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

There's no way I would put that back in my bike or anyone elses. Disaster waiting to happen. Copy the part number and paste it in the search box at ALPHA SPORTS. It will then give a list of all bikes that used that hub. May find a bunch on ebay...but look closely and only buy from sellers that accept returns just in case it doesn't look good enough when you receive it.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Let Lme know if this is what you need/want. NOS part # 21412-49010F4E05B32-1AAD-404A-8067-DDB7272A45FD.jpg

Comment

Just wondering if the inner hub looks like this, what does the outer hub look like?
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thanks for the opinions. Interesting that roughly half say replace and half say clean up and reuse. I am traveling right now and looking at the replies in a phone. I'll go through the replies more carefully and take a better look at the everything when I get back home in a few days.

Thanks

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                          Clean it up and reuse.
                          Mine was eaten like a soup and sandwich from a prior Barnett clutch kit. I filed it and have been problem free for many miles.....

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
                          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I have looked at the photos and read all the replies. The outer basket has normal wear with nothing out of the ordinary present. I cleaned up the damage in my photo with a small file and emery cloth. It cleaned up very nicely. The area that was pointed out that looked like a crack in the photo was not a crack. It rubbed right off with my finger.

I just got done reassembling the clutch using new OEM fiber plates, steel plates and OEM springs. I hope to finish up assembly and fire up the bike to see what the clutch does. It it stops pouring out.

I'll let you know how it works.

Comment

I would have used it too if what looked like a crack cleaned up, incl the steels. I'm sure it will be fine. Did you upgrade the clutch nut whilst at it? (The stock ones have a habit of coming loose due to thread stretch, an APE one (or an 1150 one is also an upgrade) would be better.

Did you check for spring rattle in the back plate too?

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X