Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GS1000s Clutch Help

Just wondering if the inner hub looks like this, what does the outer hub look like?
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Thanks for the opinions. Interesting that roughly half say replace and half say clean up and reuse. I am traveling right now and looking at the replies in a phone. I'll go through the replies more carefully and take a better look at the everything when I get back home in a few days.

Thanks

Rich

bonanzadave is offline Forum Guru Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by GregT View Post
    Clean it up and reuse.
    Mine was eaten like a soup and sandwich from a prior Barnett clutch kit. I filed it and have been problem free for many miles.....

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...lutch-overhaul
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

I have looked at the photos and read all the replies. The outer basket has normal wear with nothing out of the ordinary present. I cleaned up the damage in my photo with a small file and emery cloth. It cleaned up very nicely. The area that was pointed out that looked like a crack in the photo was not a crack. It rubbed right off with my finger.

I just got done reassembling the clutch using new OEM fiber plates, steel plates and OEM springs. I hope to finish up assembly and fire up the bike to see what the clutch does. It it stops pouring out.

I'll let you know how it works.

salty_monk is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

I would have used it too if what looked like a crack cleaned up, incl the steels. I'm sure it will be fine. Did you upgrade the clutch nut whilst at it? (The stock ones have a habit of coming loose due to thread stretch, an APE one (or an 1150 one is also an upgrade) would be better.

Did you check for spring rattle in the back plate too?

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Quote Originally Posted by salty_monk View Post
    I would have used it too if what looked like a crack cleaned up, incl the steels. I'm sure it will be fine. Did you upgrade the clutch nut whilst at it? (The stock ones have a habit of coming loose due to thread stretch, an APE one (or an 1150 one is also an upgrade) would be better.

Did you check for spring rattle in the back plate too?

Yes I checked it. There was little to no spring rattle. I used the stock nut, which by the way was loose. Used blue locktite and an impact installing the nut. Guess I need to buy the APE nut and put it on the shelf for next time I am in there.

Also noticed the idle was smoother with clutch nut tight.

Just got back from a ride for lunch, clutch works great so far.

salty_monk is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Good news!

The APE nut is a harder material, the threads stretch on the stock one. Hopefully the Loctite will keep it from loosening up again, see how it goes I guess!

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Quote Originally Posted by Vmass View Post
    Let Lme know if this is what you need/want. NOS part # 21412-49010Attachment 62808
    If you still have this hub and will sell it I need it. Chris 610-248-8897
    The goal of life isn't to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body. It's to slide in sideways, screaming and yelling "Hell yeah! What a ride"!