Case Savers/Crash Guards 750T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Case Savers/Crash Guards 750T

I've been hunting for case saver bars for years, finally found what I thought was going to be great pair. But I think I've confirmed for myself that these will not work. Burque73 offered up one of his extra pairs of bars that he acquired from a 81 750. I had thought that the frames for all of the 16valve 750s from 80-82 were essentially the same in this area because, same engine, same engine mounts, yada yada.

Roger was kind enough to take photos and lay out the mounting points, like so:

Put up next to where they would go, on my bike, I begin to doubt that this will work:

Further investigation into the parts fiches for the 81 750E shows this, 2 mounting bosses on the frame downtube on which one would mount the guard with bolt #3:
    81 750E Frame:

...Are absent on the 82 T (mine):

So, It would appear that these are not the case saver engine guards that I am looking for, for my bike.

Do any of my fellow "T" buddies, or anyone else, know where to look for something that will work on the "T" and doesn't connect to the frame w/ a Universal "U" bolt?
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Hard quest! I looked my 650G's and it's similar to Burques so likely nogo if its middle attachment has to fit INSIDE the frame...But a couple of passing thoughts- a two-point attachment might be modded if the holes for middle attachment were "clear", maybe, a spacer pipe and long bolt between? or a short bent piece added to where your mid bolts are?
    ...I mean, if you get two mounting holes to match your frame, you might be halfway there.
    and finally maybe even "Race Bobbins"? instead of "case savers"? Here's my 650's. I 'll look closer if you think it's worth it.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Gorm. Your's looks much the same as Roger's. My T frame just does not have those mounting points. I'll keep looking.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I remember the disappointment from yrs. ago. I installed some of these case guards on my GS1100 "E", after a slight incident the ign. cover was saved, but it cost more to replace the buggered up case guards than ign. cover would cost, had to buy the pair but only needed the one. No doubt would be different on the Dyno cover side, should prevent a possible severe oil leak.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Hey Rich,

My "T" came with "U-joints" clamped on to hold in-place. Not sure if you've mentioned avoiding this technique but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Looks like there's a bracket here too...for an adjusted fit.

Ed

Last edited by GSXR7ED; 05-19-2021, 09:02 PM.
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Ed, while yes, I was hoping to avoid the “U” clamp, I’m realizing that may be the only option with the T frame. Any idea on the manufacturer of your bars? Any markings at all to help identify it?
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

No markings on the case savers, Rich...but there are frame brackets that the engine is mounted to that helped line up the "u-clamp".

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Could you not make your own brackets? The originals in my opinion are quite flimsy and don't line up nicely when you try to align with the other bar on the other side of the bike they never seem to look level when looking front on.
                I made these out and were a bit fiddly to get lined both sides of the bike and look right but they're good and strong. Should the bike go over they're unlikely to bend into the engine and mess them up.
                This is the only picture I have but you get the idea.

sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Working...
                X