Nessism - To Measure Is to Know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nessism - To Measure Is to Know

Ed, please take this with the humor intended in my mind and with all due respect and admiration but I hate you . Those five little words in your signature block have become the bane of my existence yet are so critical to everything we do on these machines as well as our regular lives. Your words haunt me daily when I question whether I want to do something yet they are the first things I hear when I'm at work checking on a medical network, in the wood shop building out a project, or working on the bikes. In fact, despite reading several posts that the valve clearances don't really change on the Bandit, I just had to tear into the bike and found out yep, didn't need to do it. Yet, now I KNOW it's good for several thousand more miles.

Thank you very much for putting that in your signature block and for those who may not yet have seen it, please follow his five little words. Three short days to properly clean carburetors or checking the valve clearances when you first get a new to you bike can be very daunting yet you'll KNOW they are good for miles upon miles of fun rides. Even the tire pressure checks we should regularly do can seem pointless at times yet it's better to KNOW for sure your tires won't be the reason you didn't make it home after that long trip. Take the extra few minutes to VERIFY everything is good before you just write it off as unimportant. You never know, it could very well have been the actual cause of the problem.

And just to be clear Ed, thank you very much for making me miserable.
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
    Ed, please take this with the humor intended in my mind and with all due respect and admiration but I hate you . Those five little words in your signature block have become the bane of my existence yet are so critical to everything we do on these machines as well as our regular lives. Your words haunt me daily when I question whether I want to do something yet they are the first things I hear when I'm at work checking on a medical network, in the wood shop building out a project, or working on the bikes. In fact, despite reading several posts that the valve clearances don't really change on the Bandit, I just had to tear into the bike and found out yep, didn't need to do it. Yet, now I KNOW it's good for several thousand more miles.

Thank you very much for putting that in your signature block and for those who may not yet have seen it, please follow his five little words. Three short days to properly clean carburetors or checking the valve clearances when you first get a new to you bike can be very daunting yet you'll KNOW they are good for miles upon miles of fun rides. Even the tire pressure checks we should regularly do can seem pointless at times yet it's better to KNOW for sure your tires won't be the reason you didn't make it home after that long trip. Take the extra few minutes to VERIFY everything is good before you just write it off as unimportant. You never know, it could very well have been the actual cause of the problem.

And just to be clear Ed, thank you very much for making me miserable.

Agreed,especially when it comes to checking both tire pressures(I check them in the early morning hours just about when the sun comes up,ideally)and can vastly improve the performance of the bike and make the tires last for the full duration.

Comment

Seconded. Of all the sigs on all the forums that one keeps popping up in my head when I am on the point of 'diagnosing' something.
      Ed shouldn't get all the blame........
      “I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely, in your thoughts, advanced to the stage of science, whatever the matter may be.”
      ― William Thomson, 1st Baron Kelvin
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

The flip side to that saying is this:

Not everything that can be measured matters, and not everything that matters can be measured.

With the corollary:

Bad metrics drive bad behavior.

Just to keep things in perspective.
        Last edited by RichDesmond; 05-11-2021, 08:22 AM.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Good thread CB. Nessism has been directly responsible for my buying of a multimeter, digital caliper and a proper tire pressure gauge.
          I have also trotted out the ''to measure is to know'' several times. It makes me sound smarter.
          1979 GS1000
          1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
            The flip side to that saying is this:

Not everything that can be measured matters, and not everything that matters can be measured.

With the corollary:

Bad metrics drive bad behavior.

Just to keep things in perspective.
            You've been spending too much time in the Vortex Rich.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              You've been spending too much time in the Vortex Rich.
              LOL, no, just a lot of years in software, dealing with some members of management that kept trying new methods of measuring programmers productivity. They measured the crap out of stuff, and none of it mattered
              '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I'm a big fan of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", but sometimes you don't know that it's broke -- and the last place you want to find it out is at highway speed.

The "Proficient Motorcycling" books reminded me how important it is to check things out first -- kinda like "Measure twice, Cut once".

And members of this Forum, both old and new, constantly remind me of the importance of systematic diagnosis as opposed to replacing everything that is suspect -- then you'll never know what was "broke".
                sigpic
                '77 GS550B
                '78 GS550C

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                  LOL, no, just a lot of years in software, dealing with some members of management that kept trying new methods of measuring programmers productivity. They measured the crap out of stuff, and none of it mattered
                  A dinghy racer got separated from the race track in poor vis and after half an hour happened on a fishing boat in a clearing in the fog.
                  Where am I he called.
                  Fifty yards behind me.
                  You're in IT aren't you?
                  Why do you say that?
                  You gave an answer that is useless.
                  You're in management?
                  How did you know?
                  You don't know where you are nor where you're going and it's my fault!
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                    A dinghy racer got separated from the race track in poor vis and after half an hour happened on a fishing boat in a clearing in the fog.
                    Where am I he called.
                    Fifty yards behind me.
                    You're in IT aren't you?
                    Why do you say that?
                    You gave an answer that is useless.
                    You're in management?
                    How did you know?
                    You don't know where you are nor where you're going and it's my fault!

I rather like that one!

I agree with the principle of measuring, but with a small caveat: for some things imagination is more important than measurements.

To explain: an idea has to take shape and develop to a considerable extent before physical measuring can take place, and then, quite often, imagination is needed to make it work.
                    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
                    X