Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1000G Oil Leak - oil pressure sender unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000G Oil Leak - oil pressure sender unit?

I have an oil leak at the rear of my engine block and it appears to be coming from the oil pressure sender unit located directly under the auto cam chain tensioner and carbs.

Has anyone had a similar issue and can the oil seal and sealing washers on the unit be replaced without having to remove the carbs?

From looking at the parts diagram the oil leak could be a failure of the pressure switch o ring part # 16448-45000 and or the sealing washers part# 09168-06023.

Attached is a parts diagram the relevant parts are 38 and 40.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
    1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
    1977 GS400
    1974 Montesa 250
    1960s Kawasaki 175

The carbs should come off and go back on pretty easily. If not, you probably need new intake rubber anyway. An maybe a general re-sealing of the whole intake system. If you haven't already, it probably needs it.

The tensioner may be leaking, and that could look like something from the gallery. I'd want to get a good look. Instructions for the tensioner rebuild can be found on Brian's site.

I'm not sure if the gallery cover with the pressure safety switch can be removed with the carbs in. I've never needed to try, since I'm so comfortable yanking the carbs. It's not the wrestling match it is on so many other bikes.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

The sensor plate will come off without removing the carbs. There is an O-ring in a groove on the plate, and the sensor itself has an O-ring. Leakage is quite rare on these parts but you never know. Leaks from the cam chain tensioner, which is in the same area, is far more common.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts and advice guys.

I've just degreased and pressure washed the motor and will go for a ride this afternoon.

I will be checking the shims soon so will check that things are torqued down correctly.

The only options for the oil leak appear to be the head and base gaskets, cam chain tensioner or the oil pressure sender unit.

I'll try and eliminate each possibility.
        Johno

1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

1977 GS400
        1974 Montesa 250
        1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Have that whole area clean and dry, then spray it all with a coating of powdered foot spray. Start it up and see where the powder gets wet first.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks Rich. Good suggestion.
            Johno

1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

1977 GS400
            1974 Montesa 250
            1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

This is almost always just the usual leak from the cam chain tensioner.

Dale posted the link to my rebuild instructions:

The o-rings for the oil pressure switch are cheap and easy to replace, so why not? But these usually don't leak.

And while you're in the neighborhood and ordering OEM stuff, another universal leak point is the o-ring around the nose of the starter. It's always hardened and cracked after three or four decades, and is also quite easy to replace.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

And while you're in the neighborhood and ordering OEM stuff, another universal leak point is the o-ring around the nose of the starter. It's always hardened and cracked after three or four decades, and is also quite easy to replace.

After degreasing the engine and drying it, I gave the bike a good run and and am almost 99% sure it is leaking from the oil pressure sender.

bwringer could you clarify the "nose of the starter"?

Thanks Johno
                Johno

1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

1977 GS400
                1974 Montesa 250
                1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Originally posted by Johno View Post
                  After degreasing the engine and drying it, I gave the bike a good run and and am almost 99% sure it is leaking from the oil pressure sender.

bwringer could you clarify the "nose of the starter"?

Thanks Johno
                  When you pull the starter out, the nose of the starter protrudes into the engine case and is sealed with an o-ring. This o-ring leaks on every GS after about 20-30 years.

The o-ring is #8 on this diagram:
                  Shop online for OEM Starting Motor parts that fit your 1981 Suzuki GS1000G, search all our OEM Parts or call at 800-595-4063

You can see the o-ring in this photo of a GS1000 starter from Stockers Starters:

SS-16, $279.98, Starter - Suzuki Motorcycle, Interchange #s: 18795, 190-552, 31100-47010, 31100-49210, 31100-49500, 31100-49500-H17

Oil from this leak will not appear around the oil pressure sender; it will appear on the bottom of the engine, coming from the Mystery Hole. The Mystery Hole is a drain hole in the cases that keeps water from building up in the starter cavity. It's common for new owners chasing a starter o-ring leak to spot the Mystery Hole and panic because OMFGWTFBBQ there's a GIANT HOLE in my ENGINE and OIL is coming OUT!

This is a piece of blue tubing stuck into the Mystery Hole on a junk engine to show where it is and what it does. Do NOT plug your mystery hole...

From the top, with the starter removed:

From the bottom:
                  Last edited by bwringer; 05-17-2021, 01:14 PM.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks bwringer for your very detailed response and explanation.

I expect I have both issues.
                    Johno

1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

1977 GS400
                    1974 Montesa 250
                    1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Working...
                    X