Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That old 'Rectifier' question again

Hi all
    wondering if anyone has a original wiring diagram for 1980 GS1000g. I have a download one which is pretty good but just want to check something.
    The loom on my bike is damaged and I'm rewiring the regulator/rectifier. Of the 3 wires to the AC Generator two go direct but the third white/red (marked on the diagram) goes into the loom through a connector and come back White/green. I believe it somehow connects to the headlight and is to charge at a higher rate when the headlight is on. I guess my question is can i disconnect this and leave it out of the system. I have converted to led lights which obviously have a much lower draw on the system. if i do have to connect it do i simply connect to the headlight feed. as you can see from the pic it only shows the out and return
    Many Thanks
    Untitled-1-Recovered.jpg

The one that goes up to the headlight switch is a leg of the stator which is switched in when the light is turned on.
    It was Zuk's cheapskate way of limiting stator current in those markets where the headlight wasn't mandatory for daytime riding.
    You can bypass that switch by connecting the stator leg directly to the reg-rec.

If you've got LEDs, you NEED a series reg-rec, else you'll most definitely cook your stator, due to the half-assed way the older reg-rec works.
    Google Shindengen SH-775
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Yeah, what Grimly said.

When my stator went out I still had two legs that where putting out power. Being on the road and quite a few miles from a shop where I could order one I disconnected the headlight to reduce the draw on the system until I could get to where I could find a replacement stator. This gave me enough power to keep the bike running with a voltage sitting about 12.5v (not good) Safe enough to say you want to repair that the right way and get all the power your charging system needs.

If you haven't already come across it, you WANT to visit this site! Be sure to look over "The stator papers" for a good explanation on charging system issues and that headlight loop Grimly mentioned. You'll find a wiring diagram there.

1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Thank you Grimly. Just to confirm if i connect the wire direct it will be charging at full whack all the time, (not good i think as it will have very little draw as even my sidelights are very low watt) that is the reason to go for the Shindengen regulator. if i don't connect the wires direct it will charge at the normal rate but not increase when headlights are turned on.

Comment

If you want a trouble free charging system do as grimly says buy a used/new sh775 this is a series regulator works by shutting off the charging current when not required whereas the Oem regulator is a shunt which allows full charging current all the time this results in excess current being returned to the stator as heat thus eventually destroying the stator.
          That's a simple explanation of the way the series works there are shed loads of posts on this subject and the way to connect it.
          Do some research on what a sh775 looks like and the lettering that's is printed on it as there are tons of cheap copy's for sale on eBay which are all shunt.
          There is a member on here that may have one for sale look in the parts for sale section.
          The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
          1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
          past bikes. RF900
          TL1000s
          Hayabusa
          gsx 750f x2
          197cc Francis Barnett
          various British nails

Comment

Working...
          X