Two part question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two part question.

I've been working on my GS for a while now. I have replaced the fork seals and fluid. Added in the 191mL per the factory manual. Replaced the rear shocks with Progressive's and OE springs. Pulled the carbs off and cleaned them up and reset the floats (twice now). Since I've never rode one of these new or anything I have a concern about the ride quality. The front is very springy/bouncy. At first I thought the front tire needed to be re-balanced so I did that and it's still bouncy. Is this normal for these older bikes? I figured the front would be a little more solid/stiff.

Also, I've reset the floats to the specs in the manual (22.4mm which is .882 in.) twice now but there is still a hesitation/stumble when accelerating. I've noticed the fuel mileage is also really bad. Any ideas or suggestions on what is needed to make the stumble go away? I'm about ready to just take it to a shop and have them work on it. I prefer not to though.
    Current Bikes:

2019 Indian Chieftain Classic
    1981 Suzuki GS750E

Past Bikes:

2018 Indian Chief Dark Horse
    2017 Indian Scout
    2006 Suzuki C50

Lots of guys change their fork springs to Sonics. See member RichDesmond for sizing and other recommendations.

Are you running with the stock airbox/filter or pods? If pods, what kind? Stock exhaust?
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Two easy, inexpensive approaches that I use:

#1: Use a stiffer fork oil. Your choice of oil.
      #2: Add 25mm(?) metal washers (same diameter as the spring) between the tube top bolt and the spring. Your choice of number of washers.
      sigpic
      '77 GS550B
      '78 GS550C

Comment

The 850s use air in the forks. Did you include that?
        Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
        1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
        1981 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          Lots of guys change their fork springs to Sonics. See member RichDesmond for sizing and other recommendations.

Are you running with the stock airbox/filter or pods? If pods, what kind? Stock exhaust?
          The bike is completely stock. For now...
          Current Bikes:

1981 Suzuki GS750E

Past Bikes:

2017 Indian Scout
          2006 Suzuki C50

Comment

Originally posted by zuluwiz View Post
            The 850s use air in the forks. Did you include that?
            I did. the factory spec called for about 7psi. There should be between 7-10 psi in each leg.
            Current Bikes:

1981 Suzuki GS750E

Past Bikes:

2017 Indian Scout
            2006 Suzuki C50

Comment

Not a suspension guy but things I would try before admitting I had to buy new springs :
              -did you measure the springs against the manuals specs?
              -you could double-check the oil level in the stanchions..better than adding a "certain amount" I think. Some manuals give the level measurement. You can increase it a little to reduce the airspace ...ie: air-pressure caused by collapsing the stanchion increases the air pressure sooner.

as per xkaes, Pre-compressing the springs with a spacer is common. I think it duplicates the effect of more weight on the front end so maybe you could strap a bag of rocks up there and see if it helps because it can be hard to push spacer in against the spring! It also reduces travel of the stanchion so new springs are better for an all-round stiffer ride. The oil specs might need adjusting with non-oem springs?

Thicker oil would seem to slow the damping...By the way, forks and shocks "heat up" so suspension oil can be affected, depending on what it is. Some Suzukis are very specific wanting some multigrade mixed in there..

Comment

Originally posted by nutz4spd View Post
                Also, I've reset the floats to the specs in the manual (22.4mm which is .882 in.) twice now but there is still a hesitation/stumble when accelerating. I've noticed the fuel mileage is also really bad. Any ideas or suggestions on what is needed to make the stumble go away? I'm about ready to just take it to a shop and have them work on it. I prefer not to though.
                The stumble coupled with the low MPG shows you are certainly running rich.
                If everything else is stock the culprit is quite possibly leaking choke plungers which is becoming an ever increasing problem due to their age and the use of ethanol fuels which degrades the rubber seats.
                If you cannot find replacement plungers i offer a service to fit new ethanol resistant Viton seats to your original plungers.
                Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
                VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X