Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS450 won't return to idle if revved to 3,000 or above!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You may be running lean, I'd say mess with the fuel mixture screws if you havent found anycogs in the pilots. You have a better seal now between the boots and the head, so it may have been enough to cause it to rub leaner. Turning the mixture screws out does make the mixture richer, I'm not sure how it exactly works but I'm guessing turning the screws out gives a less pressurised air suction causing the airflow to decrease.

I am having the same problem, I got my bike running pretty good today, needs more fine tuning so I dont get any hang at all but it's really not that bad. If you're bike doesnt pop at the exhaust at all you're pretty dang close to where you need to be
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
      One more thing you may want to look at that just came to mind after reading your latest post. On my 82 there's a sleeve inside the air cleaner side of the carb intake, it has a lip on it. When you're wrestling the carbs in and out it can very easily slip back into the airbox. Ended up taking a pair of small needle nosed pliers to grab that lip on the airbox side to coax it over the carb throat after the carbs are installed back into place. Don't know if yours has that or not but it's worth checking out, it made a difference on mine when it was slipped about 1/8" out of the airbox onto the carb to create a better seal.
      When installing the carbs 2 years ago, I vaguely remember messing with that rubber sleeve you mention. I did not see it this time ... so it is probably rattling around inside the plastic housing. As it is, the bike is running better with the idle knob settings lower than before .... and controlling the engine urge to hold on to the higher revs. Getting pretty close to saying this bike is running good .... but more work is needed to button it up.
      Dennco2
      1985 GS450
      Stock condition and a work in progress

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dennco2 View Post
        When installing the carbs 2 years ago, I vaguely remember messing with that rubber sleeve you mention. I did not see it this time ... so it is probably rattling around inside the plastic housing. As it is, the bike is running better with the idle knob settings lower than before .... and controlling the engine urge to hold on to the higher revs. Getting pretty close to saying this bike is running good .... but more work is needed to button it up.
        Those sleeves not being in place certainly would contribute to the issue you're having, the lack of air resistance the airbox produces would cause the engine to run lean. They don't actually slip INTO the filter housing, that lip I mentioned keeps that from happening. Also I remembered that I needed to unbolt the airbox and slip those sleeves into place then re-bolt it into place to make it work right. Good to hear you're close, too many people don't accept that good enough is good enough!
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I had the same problem and all it was that the ideal was set too high. I lowered my ideal a little at a time until the problem went away. I think the magic number for me was 800+/-, it almost felt like it was going to stall but actually ran great.

Comment

Originally posted by GS450olderthanme View Post
            I had the same problem and all it was that the ideal was set too high. I lowered my ideal a little at a time until the problem went away.
            I found the same over the years. The lowering of ideals is inevitable.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
            X