Getting a second bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a second bike

I wont get another bike until mine is finished, but I've always liked the idea of having two, and the first bike I purchased took me almost two years to get this far from knowing nothing, so I DEFINITELY know what to be looking for. I like to think about flipping bikes and this seems like a good candidate

It's a 79 gs550, 20k miles and has a title, didnt see anything about the valve adjustment so thatd be one of.the first things I'd check. A set of new tires come with it, forks have been rebuilt, new rear shocks, carbs have been rebuilt. And the bars and controls have been swapped (no wrist cramping!)

The bad, needs a new throttle cable, says it needs new points and condenser, he said theres a intermittent skip (revisite my bike), new fuel lines, which is a bit weird since the carbs were rebuilt, I'd have to open the float bowls and see what they look like inside, Needs intake boots and some tlc.

From what i can tell it atleast has aftermarket leads and caps, VM carbs which I never worked on, and the headers are black which i dont know if its stock but the cylinder walls look like they've been painted so maybe it's to match the scheme. It does have the airbox, And it's a kick start (yay!)

It's right under the 4 figure, he says its firm but seeing what i can learn about the bike , I could possibly get it lower.

If it was a 750 I'd be keeping it.
    Attached Files
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

20210515_071630.jpg
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Screenshot_20210515-071859_Chrome.jpg
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

Screenshot_20210515-071859_Chrome.jpg
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

To be honest about getting another project, this time I'll know that's what I'll be getting, I'll learn asmuch as I can by doing quick tests when I'd go look at it, and it's easier to name the things I havent done on my bike, which is opening the engine past the valve cover and opening the transmission. Go through my suspension (which has been done ), and changing the tires. Theres a few other bits but nothing out of reach.
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

It seems to me that "
            a 79 gs550, 20k miles
            " that's "
            right under the 4 figure
            " ($US 4,000??) should not need ANYTHING.

Comment

Dunno. Just judging by the pictures...For 4k:

- I'd expect a much nicer seat job with some seams
              - Fresh tires _on_ the bike
              - Sure as hell no rusty screws (for example, a complete SS engine cover set can be had for 40$)
              - Running (where's the airbox?!)
              - Sure af no L pipes on a E frame (somebody correct me, in case that style has been sold as such in NA).

...and more, but combined with what you wrote that's already enough, methinks.

I don't know the market around you, but in my case/market for that bike I'd start negotiating at 1k. Then maybe let myself negotiated up to 1.5k, maybe 2k, but I think that's already a bit pushing it.
              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                It seems to me that "" that's "" ($US 4,000??) should not need ANYTHING.
                My bad I mean it's under 4 figures
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

My bad meant under 4 figures so under $1000
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

Got an update about bike, he let me know the real story.

His words "OK I never had the carbs on the bike when I got it. shooting carb cleaner down the intakes made the bike fire off some times and run for a couple seconds then I left the key on over night this is a 1979 model and it has points and condenser ignition so leaving the key on all night killed the battery and the points I installed the cabs and I have not bothered messed with it sense finally decided I'm not ever going to after a year and put it up for sale"

Can somebody verify that the part about the points and condenser is true
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

Look at the parts fiche. But a 79 should have points, not electronic ignition.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

It's called a contact breaker, and they do sell a points assembly for it new. But it's only one side lol.
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

Correct, '79 have points (includes condensers).

You'll definitively have some work cut out for you. A complete carb overhaul will be in the books. The intermittant firing means that at least some cylinders may have appropriate compression and the ignition was okay at that point, but not much more.
                          Leaving the ignition on overnight might've killed a coil.

20k miles is also when some maintenance comes due, or rather should've been done already.

All in all, I revise my earlier statement, it seems to me that bike in your market is below 1k worth. How much, I can't say. With the knowledge that I gained since buying mine, I might be able to negotiate a seller down to 500-800$, listing all pro and cons.
                          #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                          #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                          #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                          #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                            Correct, '79 have points (includes condensers).

You'll definitively have some work cut out for you. A complete carb overhaul will be in the books. The intermittant firing means that at least some cylinders may have appropriate compression and the ignition was okay at that point, but not much more.
                            Leaving the ignition on overnight might've killed a coil.

20k miles is also when some maintenance comes due, or rather should've been done already.

All in all, I revise my earlier statement, it seems to me that bike in your market is below 1k worth. How much, I can't say. With the knowledge that I gained since buying mine, I might be able to negotiate a seller down to 500-800$, listing all pro and cons.

Dont mind the work on a bike I've never messed with, aslong as it passes the main things like compression and motors not locked. But I think this one will have to be passed...my bike is not being a happy camper
                            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                            1982 XS650

Comment

I could only add that at least some, maybe all of the '79 GS's had ignition points ( last year?) and also a kick starter to supplement the electric start. If the ignition was left on, it may have done some evil to the coils, etc.
                              1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Working...
                              X