GS650GT Front forks sag after rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650GT Front forks sag after rebuild

GS650GT - I've had the forks re-chromed, replaced seals and both DU rings, and refilling with 15w oil. With the forks fully extended, distance between bottom fork brace and dust seal is around 183mm, from this I've worked out the fork sag to be around 85-90mm.
    I could be wrong, but this to me seems a bit too much. With my gear on I'm around 95kg (15st, 210lb), so not that heavy.
    What do you think could be causing this sag, tired springs? Tried pumping air into it, but pressure is not holding, this is with new air valves and o-ring seals too, could this cause the excessive sag?

Old, worn out fork springs
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
      Old, worn out fork springs
      Do you think by putting a few washers between the two springs could create a bit of preload and overcome some of the fork sag?

Comment

Yes, but new fork springs would be much better
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

It's a lot too much. 35mm of total sag is about right on most street bike.
          The stock springs were too soft when new, and haven't gotten better with age.
          Adding preload does make the sag a bit less, but the spring rate is still exactly the same. New springs from a good aftermarket company are the fix.
          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

New springs it is then. I can only find progressive springs for these fork, and their length is around 80mm shorter than the combined length of the two original springs, would I have to make this length up with a spacer to get the right preload?

Comment

I went with Race Tech straight rate springs. Many recommend Sonic springs, because a member here owns the company. In any case, I've never heard anyone here recommend progressive rate springs.

You've got to buy the correct rate depending on your fully geared up riding weight, plus your style of riding.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                ...Many recommend Sonic springs, because a member here owns the company...
                Used to own the company.
                '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Antonius,
                  If you ask RichDesmond real nice, He might tell you exactly what you need from Sonic straight rate springs. He'll probably need some info like your weight, etc. I know's he's gotten a lot of folks here set up and happy with fixing their front suspension woes. I haven't done it yet, but may in the future.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Yep, I'd need the riders weight and a description of how you ride. Be happy to help.

Comment

I weigh 11 stone and the stock springs are even too soft for me.... You can cut the closely wound springs off and replace with solid spacer to make the forks stiffer but there is only so far you can go before the spring gets coil bound (not enough gaps between the coils left to equal the fork travel).

With stock springs you can get to about a 43lb spring weight before that happens, I would say you want more like a 55lb spring.. FYI progressives springs are 50lb once the close coils bind & you get the full rate of the straight wound part.
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Just received email back from Race Tech with details of their spring set which contain bits for preload. Still thinking about going with progressive springs, simply because I can source them here in the UK, and they would cost half as much as importing any from US.
                        No rush to get this sorted, need to get a few things for my Ducati first.
                        Thanks for your advice.

Comment

You could always cut the "progressive" end off the progressive springs (the closely wound ones) & add the same amount of height back in solid spacer. Put a washer at each end (between the spring and new spacer & at the other end between the Progressive spacer and the new spacer or make the new spacer the height you cut off plus height of progressive spacer). For spacer plastic pipe works well. They call it schedule 40 pipe here, not sure what the equivalent plumbing pipe is in the UK but it's an ABS pipe.

That would give you a 50lb start point (similar to racetech 1.0 from memory) to add additional preload too. I've done that on a couple of bikes in the past.
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I've just ordered a pair of Hagon progressive springs (quite cheap at £89). I going to compare their length against the two factory springs (long and short), and work out what length of spacer to get enough preload. Not keen on the idea of cutting off any bit of the new progressives, problem around this area the roads a bit bumpy, having the springs too firm I fear would spoil the ride. Got a pair of new Hagon shocks on the back, just need to balance the front with the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Antonius View Post
                              I've just ordered a pair of Hagon progressive springs (quite cheap at £89). I going to compare their length against the two factory springs (long and short), and work out what length of spacer to get enough preload. Not keen on the idea of cutting off any bit of the new progressives, problem around this area the roads a bit bumpy, having the springs too firm I fear would spoil the ride. Got a pair of new Hagon shocks on the back, just need to balance the front with the rear.
                              Cut the spacer so that the total stack length is a little shorter than stock. If you make it the same length you’ll have too much preload with the better springs. Ideally you’ll want the springs compressed about 20mm with the fork cap screwed in.

Comment

Working...
                              X