Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dynojet stage 3 tuning HELP

Bill of course I wonít stop I suffer from OCD I must admit and I am not a quitter by a long shot I like my things functioning properly (or as close to normal as possible regarding cv carbs and stock airbox) i must make clear now that going to an air box is IMPOSSIBLE. The bike if you can see on the pics on my profile is HEAVILY customized by the PO who has a custom / cafe annual competition shop. The 550 came second in 2017 Greece custom motorcycle contest. Anyway to the task at hand. I am starting to second guess the order of the washers and all the stuff on the needle. More digging in the forums last night revealed people even saying to remove COMPLETELY the stock plastic top donut and leave the DJ washer in its place. Does anyone here can say with 100% confidence THE EXACT order of all the needle components???? Unbelievable Dynojet sells a kit that doesnít have at least basic instructions. And also the bike has to pass the two year mandatory inspection in October so ITS DO OR DIE or else I wonít be able to drive it all the way to the public vehicle inspection office. Also i am starting to get confused about dropping or raising the needle. I know the basic principle that moving the E-clip UP (towards the diaphragm) LEANS it. Moving it down RICHENS it. The stacking of parts ON TOP the E-Clip is I assume the fine tuning amount of leaning or richening you want???
    Last edited by Kara25; 05-21-2021 at 02:02 AM.

It has to be the needles my friend I am no way close to full throttle when this happens. I feel that itís on the transition between those two. Midrange is NO GO. Itís baffling bcs even the one sentence <<instructions>> of the kit point that it can be used either with K&N individual pods OR K&N RC-2382 dual oval filters which I have. So itís not that I have the wrong ones and besides over the years I saw many 550s have the same ones on the internet and be jetted with DJ kits. But as usual nobody says the magic recipe (needle positions etc)
    Last edited by Kara25; 05-21-2021 at 01:58 AM.

The big problem with online advice is, you never see your advisors bike perform in person. So you never have the chance to judge for yourself.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

SUCCESS.! Thanks to Bill and everyone else who commented here! My thought about removing completely the plastic donut on top of the needle was correct. FINAL SETTINGS. 550E with K&N -RC2382 and 4-1 : stock pilot/150DJ mains/ and most important. Spring/OEM washer/E-Clip on 3rd groove/DJ washer/plastic cone/circlip. Bike runs like raped ape HOLY S¬Ä&@¬ď¬ÄT starts with normal amounts of choke(not fully open like before even in summer months) drops down to perfect idle 1100-1150 rpms and most importantly GREAT MIDRANGE¬ó¬ó>TOP END. I should have spent the money earlier on the kit but it¬ís never too late!

Well that's great! We knew it had to be you to do the creative thinking, solve the puzzle, we can't examine a bike remotely.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Bill I just Hope further down the road people will see this thread and know what to do exactly and not scourge forever around on the net.! Thanks again for your help! May I ask that in the future I shoot you a PM if I decide to start looking for any more serious performance mods??

Sure I'll do my best. You sure live in a very historical town, post some pics of your bike in front of some cool vistas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kara25 View Post
    My thought about removing completely the plastic donut on top of the needle was correct. FINAL SETTINGS. 550E with K&N -RC2382 and 4-1 : stock pilot/150DJ mains/ and most important. Spring/OEM washer/E-Clip on 3rd groove/DJ washer/plastic cone/circlip.
    I am not familiar with your carbs and the needle/washer stack. Did that lower the needle or raise it?

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

KEITH KRAUSE is offline Forum Guru Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Angeles Forest, So.Calif./Hurricane, Utah.

Glad you have it running well. The nylon ring, with or without the thinner spacer on some carbs, have caused assembly issues with several models. If they are installed in reverse or not installed at all, the mixture will suffer.
    I'm not familiar with your 550's carbs but the nylon ring eliminates metal to metal contact (?), as with my VM carbs, so I'm not sure removing it is the right thing to do. Can you find a reliable assembly diagram? Why would the use of a jetting kit, specifically the jet needle and jetting spacer, require the removal of the factory nylon ring to operate well? The jetting kit parts mentioned should work WITH the factory parts.
    Just wondering what the purpose is of the "donut" you mention?
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Keith trust me I spend so many evenings after work trying to solve the kit assembly riddle with the DJ kit that I am glad itís over.! The problem is that the kit itself is awesome BUT Dynojet doesnít give you instructions for the needle assembly order or in other models with CVs like 750s,850s etc they give WRONG ONES.!! I searched and searched all over this forum and got into that conclusion. Itís just trial and error until you find the correct spot.as for the plastic stock donut that sits on top of the stock needle I think it leans out things due to its thickness. I read that people who wanted to richen out their midrange with stock mikuni CVs like mine were sanding down this donut to reduce its overall thickness. When I completely removed it in one of the MANY assemblies I did it solved my problem immediately and the bike feels like completely different animal. Never expected that much <<waking>> up from a jetkit and an exhaust. Thank god my Getto way of running the bike before the kit with covering the filters with small strips of bandages kept my valves alive and didnít cook them off
    Last edited by Kara25; 06-08-2021 at 04:17 PM.