Starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting problem

Had some trouble last fall with starting and discovered the little circuit behind the start button was cracked. Ordered a new on off start button from Z1. Problem is that when i switch the switch from Off to On the starter motor fires right up. Got that resolved and all was working good when I discovered that the wire to the top of the transmission case was a bit dodgy on the clip. This is the wire that goes to the nylon button with a clip on it. Repaired that and installed bullet connectors on the wiring from the push button switch to the G/Y and O/W wires. One of these has a red marker. Tightened everything up and was right back to where I started with the starter motor engaging when the on switch was activated, rather than the push button switch

Solenoid and battery are replaced, all grounds are cleaned and in good order. I jumped a wire from the solenoid ground to the negative side of the battery as well, thinking it might not have been ground properly. Went through all the connections and they are all good. Any help on this is appreciated.

Originally posted by Phred View Post
    Repaired that and installed bullet connectors on the wiring from the push button switch to the G/Y and O/W wires. .
    Not sure what bike you’re referring to, and if you are referring to the starter button as the push button, you might have that wire connected to the wrong side of the starter button. When you turn the ignition key “on”, the O/W wire should have power. If it is connected to the G/Y, the G/Y wire runs over to the clutch lever switch and then on the to activate the starter solenoid. So, if that is true, then turning the ignition key to “on”, would activate the starter.
    Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
    1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
    1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

If the starter doesn't unintentionally run with the starter button disconnected then the problem is with your assembly of the button. Improper assembly can have the starter activated all the time.

Comment

Working...
      X