diagnosing oil leak(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

diagnosing oil leak(s)

I have a couple leaks I am chasing down. One is oil coming up through the clutch pinion oil seal, the other maybe the timing chain tensioner, or oil pressure switch seal? I was curious if I was getting blow by and pressurizing case. I opened the oil fill while engine was running. I felt more air flowcthan expected coming out but it didn't feel "pressurized" and didn't change when increased rpms. I'm also not sure how much flow is expected... Any input here is appreciated. In the mean time I am going to bite the bullet and buy above seals.
    -Mark
    Boston, MA
    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
    sigpic
    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Do you still have the stock intake setup with the breather to airbox? If so check to see if the Breather hose is clogged with spiderwebs or something. Some folks run pods and use a filter on the Breather hose. That could cause your issue too.

I can't remember ever pulling the filler cap while the engine is running so can't comment on how much flow there should be coming out.

I just pulled the clutch pinion seal on mine. Used a pick to pull it out. New one going in momentarily.

You'll need to pull the carbs and airbox to get to the cam chain tensioner. (Look for bwringer's writeup on that)That'll be a perfect time to do the oil pressure switch O-rings and check the breather.

After thinking about this some more, I wondered if you're seeing a lot of smoke out the exhaust. Also, have you checked compression or done a leak down test? That much blow by could point to the rings, but you'd probably be seeing a lot of smoke.
    Last edited by Burque73; 05-17-2021, 08:45 AM.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Thanks for the response. The airbox is removed and the breather is clear. I purchased the oil pressure switch and all of the orings and gasket forthe cam tensioner as well. I re-ringed the engine several years ago and I dont see any smoke, except on occasion on a cold start, but nothing lingering.
      -Mark
      Boston, MA
      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
      sigpic
      1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Working...
      X