X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS650G Rear shocks advice

Hi guys,

Once More I need your advice, right now
    Ineed to change the rear shocks of my gs650, I was reading other posts and came to the conclusion to buy the Hagons, but I'm not sure which ones to buy, could you give me the size of the oem shocks please?.

I was thinking on buying this ones:

But im not sure that will fit correctly.

thank you in advance to all
    Last edited by tattosti; 05-16-2021, 10:45 PM.
    1983 Suzuki GS650G (New to me)
    2011 Vespa 300 GTS ("Wifes Bike")
    1986 Yamaha GT80 (From New in middle of restoration)
    1970 Honda SupreCub 90 (Future project, maybe to electric)
    2017 KTM Duke 200 (From New) (Recently Sold)

On my 82 650 G with damper-control shocks, the shocks are 13 and 5/8" long between the hole centers.
    But 13" should be fine for the G...
    Apparently, from the manual, the limit of rear wheel travel is
    4.45 inches for the G,
    3.75" for the GL...
    The "L" model with the 16" diameter rear wheel, you'll probably want shorter shocks than mine for looks and to keep the shaft generally in a straight line when riding.

...you can take the shocks off and move the swing arm up and down to see what the minimum distance will be before hitting the fender and then compare this to your shock's compressed length and "travel" if it's listed- it should be.

Comment

I believe progressive Suspension makes shocks for that model, check Dennis Kirk website. Won't be cheap, probably close to $400 for the pair by the time you add springs, tax, shipping.

Comment

When I bought my '81 GS650G two years ago it had some unknown aftermarket shocks on it. Those were 13.5 in., eye to eye. That seemed like a good height. I replaced them with Progressives, also in 13.5 in. ( 345mm ?). I used the 412 model which comes with springs fitted and opted for the heavier springs. Might have been 105/150. They seem to be Progressive's entry level series 12 shock with springs fitted. $300 a pair now.

I only used Hagons one time, many years ago, on a '72 airhead. I believe that they were the same model in the OP's link. They sacked out completely, one week after the 2 year warranty was up. Just one persons experience on one bike. That was before I used that bike for heavy loaded touring. Replaced those at the time with Progressive 12's and went another 10 years and 50k mi. with no problems. The Hagons did have better damping feel I recall.
        1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Working...
        X