Stupid stupid stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid stupid stupid

That's me ranting about this bike, I got to turn the bike on today, and had to do a half turn out ti get it running better, wasnt gonna sit here and try to tune it being 7:30am.

The initial start before messing with the pilot screws it sounded okay at first, got worse as it got warmer, and the throttle response was not good you could tell it wasnt running on all the cylinders. The warmer it got the more I'd have to turn the idle up.

Turned pilot screws out half a turn and it got better, could idle stabile and no shorting was happening so that issue should be gone, I did a spray test and cylinders 1 through 3 steamed up just fine, cylinder 4 barely steamed. Went ahead and rode it just to see how it'd act during a ride and low speed rpm was not good, its barely want to go, and when I get to a certain rpm I'd say above 3000 it will stay up there during a shift, maybe try to climb a bit more, sometimes it would jerk me after i pull the clutch out from an upshift, as a matter of fact it would jerk around a noticable amount during those low speed rpms. The good thing is when I'd stop o wouldn't have to hold on the throttle to make sure it would stay alive, it was able to idle by itself during the ride. Sometimes it would go up about 200ish rom from idle and I'm thinking maybe that's the fourth cylinder going, but it would eventually start to climb up constantly. I also had it keep going by itself after I let off the throttle.

My thoughts, the idle screws need to be messed with to get a better tune low speed, the throttle cable might be getting friction somewhere causing it to stick a bit, and, maybe something to do with the clutch? This clutch has always been super easy to operate, but damn does it clunk a bit during shifting at low speeds.

The carbs have been rebuilt very recently, the floats were weighed and float height was set. My ignition system is all new, coils, dyna S, plugs, leads, and the coil relay mod has been done. I just have an exhaust on it. Everything that has been done has been tested to prove good.

What are stupid things that could be happening.

Stupid stupid stupid,
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Forgot to add did a steam test after ride and all 4 sizzle the same
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Most Suzuki transmissions from that period were pretty clunky. especially at low speeds.
      Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
      1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
      1981 GS1100E

Comment

Have you set valve clearances? Vacuum synch the carbs?

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
          Have you set valve clearances? Vacuum synch the carbs?
          Only thing is carb sync to do.....will do
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

What are my low speed jets I'd say to 3000 ish rpm
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

Ome thing with the carbtune is I cant really get a reading at idle on it, I used to be able to but now I cant. I'm gonna look for leaks but i dont believe it does have any. I know how it works, I'm wondering if it needs lubrication but I dint know how I'd do that.
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

I don't believe the CarbTune requires any lubrication. In fact, I think they say specifically NOT to in the manual, IIRC.
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                  I don't believe the CarbTune requires any lubrication. In fact, I think they say specifically NOT to in the manual, IIRC.
                  Any clue why it wont get a reading during idle, have to rev it up for them to come out but still that probably isnt an accurate way to use it.
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

Shoot us a picture of your Carbtune setup. I recall idle having to be quite high (~2500) to get an initial reading and as the synch got better I could bring the rpms down. It was also easier using the restrictors that came with the kit.
                    '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                      Shoot us a picture of your Carbtune setup. I recall idle having to be quite high (~2500) to get an initial reading and as the synch got better I could bring the rpms down. It was also easier using the restrictors that came with the kit.

I've never used one,would like to.I've heard a number of guys that own them mention that installing the restrictors is important.

Comment

Snapchat-736626376.jpg

I did hook it up how the manual tells me, its a carbtune pro

Says to have it a bit above normal idle speed so I'd day 14-1500 would be ideal.
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

Not doubting you Ian, but I would like to confirm you hung it upside down. I made the mistake of not doing that the first time I used it
                          '83 GS650G

Comment

How should it be facing? Whenever I've had it hooked up it would be facing upright with all the hoses being at the top
                            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                            1982 XS650

Comment

I think you are correct. I may have been remembering the old Carbtune II setup which was hung upside down.
                              '83 GS650G

Comment

Working...
                              X