No announcement yet.

Stupid stupid stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The carbs would have to be extremely unbalanced to cause the kind of problem you are reporting. No good carb tuning can be accomplished without proper valve clearances and a lack of vacuum leaks. Carb boot O rings? Carb boots, air box boots? Airbox properly sealed? Petcock function? Tank vent? Bench sync done? How confident are you of the carb rebuild quality?
    Eastern Washington
    1980 GS1000L No mods.
    1997 Valkyrie

Comment

Originally posted by carpetbagger View Post
      The carbs would have to be extremely unbalanced to cause the kind of problem you are reporting. No good carb tuning can be accomplished without proper valve clearances and a lack of vacuum leaks. Carb boot O rings? Carb boots, air box boots? Airbox properly sealed? Petcock function? Tank vent? Bench sync done? How confident are you of the carb rebuild quality?
      I'm very confident in the rebuild, the mechanic I brought the carbs to get the floats done said I did a good job on them. No signs of vacuum leaks, been through it all. The carb sync is the last thing i can really do. Valves are up to date.

Heres where I did mess up, the heads on my pilot jets were pretty bad so I ordered some new ones, I ordered size 45 instead of 42.5 and that affected it way more than i realised. Went back to stick and it runs heaps better and quieter at idle and such, I just need to get the idle screws set correctly. Was not having good throttle response at all but I had the turns out off by atleast a half turn.

Once i get the mixture screws set I'll be checking for that hanging rev, and will likely go through the procedures again for checking for a vacuum leak. Throttle cable is fine.

Petcock works just fine and my tank does vent I would think, doesnt hold pressure. The carbs have been bench synced a while back but never adjusted.
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

This is it the other day when i put stock pilots back in, this was at 2 turns out. Stock is 1 and a half .

Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Heres today, all info that would be needed is in the video. No throttle was given during the video.

Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

Heres today, seems pretty promising. 3 and a half turns out with stock pilotsi
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

Last step is to get your balancing gadget back on and finely tune the balance.
              Every time you disturb the carbs more than simply adjusting the idle, you need to do this.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                Last step is to get your balancing gadget back on and finely tune the balance.
                Every time you disturb the carbs more than simply adjusting the idle, you need to do this.

I'm gonna have to possibly upsize the pilot jets back to the 45 and tune those. I still have a hanging idle but its alot lower than the 3500, and the bike does run HEAPS better than it originally did. It was hanging at 2500 ish but was alot more expecting than before.

They are 3 and a half turns out, would that be the max amount of turns?
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

I will be upsizing the pilots from 42.5 to 45 and start at 1 turn out, the bike is very close to running correct but having a idle being a bit too high and a hanging idle after riding enough at 3 and a half turns out there will need to be more tuning done. If I lower the idle it goes too low for my liking. I'll tinker with it a bit before swapping the pilots seeing if I can get it to act accordingly by trying to get the idle set up perfect but I think it will need to be upsized indefinitely
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

Before I upsize the pilots I took a look at my airbox bit with the filter in it, the cover is a bit warped making for a not so airtight fit, went ahead and sealed it and I'll see how it goes I hope it does make a difference. If not tuning is no big deal.
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                    X