An alternative to pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An alternative to pods

I tried the pods and like many other had no success so I decided to modify the original air box and ad just one air filter.

With the main jet at 100 from 92.5 and a good soak of the Carbs, this set up has the bike running incredibly well, the power is remarkably better compared to stock.

Not a lot of work went in to this so anyone can achieve the same results.

Cheers Jonathon.
    Attached Files

What bike, I had the idea of that pretty soon after i got my bike, heard a few people have done it and had good results. And it's not tedious like getting a bike to run with pods right.

Cool stuff
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

CV carbs don't like the turbulent air of separate pods or open carbs as it upsets the smooth vacuum operation of the slides.
      Duel pods go some way to balancing out the intake pulses but it's still not perfect.
      What you have done is keep the smooth baffling effect of the air box whilst increasing airflow which is the best set up for these.
      If they were the VM slide carbs then air corrector jets are the solution which works best for those.
      Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
      VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

It's a 1979 gs550 mate, I've got plant of photos as I went through the process if needed.

Cheers Jonathon.

Comment

Spot on

Comment

My 1100E came with a similar setup when I bought it. Didn't run that great with it, but that was the fault of the shop that tuned it not the single filter. It certainly is an easier to tune option for the smaller displacement bikes.

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I have the same setup on my '83 1100. It had pods on it when I bought it, and never ran quite right. Found an air box from another bike, and just used the front half, and put a large K&N on it. Bike ran awesome throughout the throttle range. Highly recommended over individual pods. Much easier to tune too.
              '83 GS 1100T
              The Jet

sigpic
              '95 GSXR 750w
              The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

I'm gonna end up doing this in the future, I have an exhaust so might as well put it to work instead of just making noise, my only concern is the weight of the carbs stressing the intake boots but I'm sure a support can be implemented.

Its an awesome replacement for airpods.
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                X