Rear wheel off center, swing arm off center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear wheel off center, swing arm off center

Hi guys sorry to bother you, I have a question about the gs450 1983 model, my rear wheel seems to be right at the center of the swing arm, but off center from the frame on the left. I cannot find any answers on internet so would you be able to tell me if yours are right at the middle please ? (My chain line is also perfect) Thanks in advance
    Attached Files
    Suzuki gs450

I have no personal experience with this model. But looking at the fuzzy, low-res pic, it looks like your frame is tweaked/bent left to right from bottom to top as you look at it from the rear.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Sorry for the quality, I’ll try to upload a better one.
      I’ve checked my frame with a laser and it is straight.
      Suzuki gs450

Comment

Originally posted by Subform View Post
        Sorry for the quality, I’ll try to upload a better one.
        I’ve checked my frame with a laser and it is straight.

I'm inclined to think you have your axle spacers swapped, the longer one goes on the left (chain) side. It might look like the chain is running straight but without the cover off the front sprocket looks could be deceiving. When we consider all the things that might cause a misalignment use Occam's razor first: Given an equal set of outcomes, the simplest answer is best.
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Don't be sorry to bother us. But we're going to need better picture(s). Use several posts if you want because this site only allows one picture per post.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
            Don't be sorry to bother us. But we're going to need better picture(s). Use several posts if you want because this site only allows one picture per post.
            or up to 10 if you do it right:

Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
              I'm inclined to think you have your axle spacers swapped, the longer one goes on the left (chain) side. It might look like the chain is running straight but without the cover off the front sprocket looks could be deceiving. When we consider all the things that might cause a misalignment use Occam's razor first: Given an equal set of outcomes, the simplest answer is best.
              As I mentioned, the wheel is perfectly at the center in the swing arm, if it was the cas, my wheel would touch one arm. It is more like, there is an offset between the swing arm and the frame.
              Suzuki gs450

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                or up to 10 if you do it right:

whoaaa yours are in good quality! Any particular procedure to upload pics ?
                Suzuki gs450

Comment

whoaaa yours are in good quality! Any particular procedure to upload pics ?
                  Instructions for using Imgur in my signature. The ones I posted above I think I posted as medium thumbnail just to illustrate and put 10 pics up.

There are seven sizes to choose from. Original is usually too big and may not all fit on the screen without excessive scrolling but I will post each size of the same image below to illustrate.

Original

Small Square

Big Square

Small Thumbnail

Medium Thumbnail

Large Thumbnail

Huge Thumbnail

all posted in about 2 minutes using my iPad, Imgur full site in Safari (NOT THE APP!)
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Wow, Rich!

I guess I only use the original size...all them other sizes are quite the option.

Now, as for this "misalignment" issue, what makes an evenly aligned wheel to the swing arm?

What does the manual say? I'm guessing you've reviewed it before asking your question...no sarcasm intended.

EDIT: Look here for you model bike: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

What part of the frame are you using as a reference for the centerline ?

Pull the seat and tank off and use the main top tube as the centerline.
                      A long straightedge along that tube - used with a couple of others on the sides of the tyre - will tell you if the wheel is on center.

Comment

As I mentioned, the wheel is perfectly at the center in the swing arm, if it was the cas, my wheel would touch one arm. It is more like, there is an offset between the swing arm and the frame.
                        It would take about 30 seconds (or less) to check that over. What's more likely to happen, catastrophic damage or an honest mistake during assembly? Are you SURE the tire is meant to sit dead center in the middle? Remember, if you start with a flawed assumption any further assumptions are likely to also be flawed.
                        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Lab3 is giving you good advice. How you got to "the wheel is perfectly at the center in the swing arm" and yet, an obviously twisted bike is something we can't guess at. For all we know, you used some hardware washers.
                          My immediate suspicion is that you are missing (or using the wrong one)the bushing between brake drum and swingarm...
                          Take a good picture at least 1080 width, that shows the axle mount and post it. Posts can be edited if you find the post doesn't show it. As the default, this site uploads a larger size as a thumbnail, which we can double-click to see larger.
                          You can get an offsite host too per multiples but that's a different lesson.
                          Last edited by Gorminrider; 05-21-2021, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X