Vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vibration

I have a 1982 gs750t, when riding and shutting the throttle off get bad vibrations, pull the clutch in and it goes away. Thinking of looking at the clutch hub nut? Also when in top gear doing about 35mph and opening the throttle takes a long time to pick up, cleaned carbs and balanced them.

If the carbs really are clean & in balance then yes the clutch hub nut could be a good place to look. The threads stretch and they loosen. An upgraded nut from APE or an 1150 model nut is worthwhile.

A top gear roll-on at 35mph isn't really what these bikes were made for.... Especially as your speedo probably over reads so you are likely going closer to 30...
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

35 in 5th gear should be barely possible. I’ll get to 35 in 1st before I shift to 2nd. Is this your first bike? First time riding? You’re lugging the engine. That will cause the bike to shudder.

I don’t mean to sound critical or harsh. We all start somewhere. And the above 0-35 in 1st gear would be a hard pull. Put another way, if I’m riding along at 35 mph, I’m in no higher than 3rd gear. And I’d speed up a bit to maybe 40-45 before shifting up to 4th.
      Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-22-2021, 06:39 PM.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Suzie750 View Post
        I have a 1982 gs750t, when riding and shutting the throttle off get bad vibrations, pull the clutch in and it goes away. Thinking of looking at the clutch hub nut?. . . . . .
        THis would be during decleration, when pull in clutch, then are coasting. Is the "vibration" the handlebars shaking? Learn about steering bearings and check for if they are loose.
        I myself would not suspect clutch hub for this, but dont have any arguement against it either.

Originally posted by Suzie750 View Post
        . . . . .
        Also when in top gear doing about 35mph and opening the throttle takes a long time to pick up, . . . . .
        Top gear & 35 mph would be very low engine rpm.
        Learn about the horsepower & torque curve of the engine.
        For more acceleration you want to be more like 4k rpm and higher.
        35mph for some acceleration you want to be in 3rd gear (not 4 or 5), for more acceleration you will want to be in 2nd gear (or 1st).

Welcome to THeGSR. Do introduce yourself in the "owners" section. Pic of bike would be goodtoo.
        Last edited by Redman; 05-22-2021, 09:18 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

How old is your drive chain ? Do you think all the links move freely? That's the first place I would look as a dried-out chain can have links that will seize-up and cause what you describe.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            35 in 5th gear should be barely possible. I’ll get to 35 in 1st before I shift to 2nd. Is this your first bike? First time riding? You’re lugging the engine. That will cause the bike to shudder.
            Having ridden big torque monster V-Twins this was something I had to learn to get past, that engine in your bike is made to REV and you shouldn't worry too much about running it in the 5k rpm range a good part of the time!
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Revving too low is called lugging, and guess what? It can be worse for an engine than going past redline.

If you follow the shift points in your owner's manual, you'll be lugging.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Hi Rodman, thanks for your response, engine vibration when decelerating. Pull clutch in goes away? Have two gs750 ts both 1982, this one I have just got has 9000 miles on clock. Tightened all engine bolts new wheel bearings new chain cleaned and balanced carbs, compression 125psi hot on all cylinders. Throttle full open. I am comparing the new bike with my old one, doing about 35mph on old bike in 5 gear and it pulls away, new one takes longer to get going, but if I go through the gears lots of throttle it's ok, not new to bikes just Japanese ones. Aways had British bikes still got a 1974 triumph trident t150, regards Kevin.

Comment

In the OP's defense, and contrary to my previous statements, I found this in the 750T owner's manual. And it supports his riding at 35mph in 5th gear. I just can not imagine attempting to ride my bike at these low speeds, in the recommended gear.

Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
                  X