Ngk plug shortahe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ngk plug shortahe

Ive heard a lot about lack of plugs and some even claiming NGK is stopping making plugs.. Heres the skinny right from NGK......

Thank you for your inquiry. Please do not believe people who are spreading rumors. NGK is very strong and is continuing expanding our spark plug and sensor lines. We have discontinued most of our non-resistor plugs because they are not used much any more. The reason for shortage of supply is because many of our shipments from Japan are being held up at port in California. There are hundreds of ships with containers that are waiting to be inspected and approved by customs. COVID-19 has affected not only NGK shipments but many other companies are going through shortages as well.

Lela Martin
    Racing Sponsorship / Technical Support – Aftermarket Division
    NGK Spark Plugs (U.S.A.), Inc.
    (877) 473-6767 option 2

EDIT.... I asked specifically about our beloved B8ES plugs and heres the response......

B8ES has been superseded to BR8ES resistor plug or you can use the R5671A-8 which is non-resistor racing plug.

Lela Martin
    Racing Sponsorship / Technical Support – Aftermarket Division
    NGK Spark Plugs (U.S.A.), Inc.
    (877) 473-6767 option 2
    Last edited by chuck hahn; 05-24-2021, 05:44 PM.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Last year it was toilet paper.
    Some just aren't happy without a dire shortage of something or other in the offing.............
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      . . . . . .
      . . . . . We have discontinued most of our non-resistor plugs because they are not used much any more. .
      Good that you got response from the company.

Was a couple months ago someone posted about discontinuing the non-resistor plugs (that are stock for our GSs). ANd I was able to find a set on ebay for about $18 at that time. I dont think can find any B8ES now.

Carefull if searching for B8ES, the search may find BR8ES.

Last edited by Redman; 05-24-2021, 05:19 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I was reading on another forum the same thing for B8ES and I like to keep a stock of plugs in my boxes in storage.I called around at a few different automotive parts places and was able to find some at an AutoZone by telling them the 4-digit stock # written on the end of the box next to 'B8ES'.I wanted a few boxes and they ordered some in from another store who had some,this was about 7 months ago.I can sell a set of 4 to one person here who wants them for $12+ shipping in a USPS envelope if needed.I'll keep the rest until someone wants me to do a tune-up on a bike which requires them.The other difficult thing I've found is trying to find 'old school' ND:Nippon Denso spark plugs.I find they're better build quality(truly Made in Japan)than the 'Denso' only name plug which tries to say they're compatible.

Comment

I have edited the original post with information about B8ES plugs being superceded....
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Check at Pep Boys
            B8ES were on sale a week ago
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I've made the move to resistor plugs anyway, as it's better to change out the complete plug and resistor every X- thousand miles, than wait for the inevitable degradation of the inbuilt resistor in the plug cap.
              Plug caps are the Cinderellas of the ignition world.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

B8ES plugs quietly went out of production long before the 'rona.

If you find a stash somewhere, grab 'em.

No, BR8ES plugs are NOT the same. Yes, they screw in the same, but they're resistor plugs.

That said, no one has ever noticed the slightest difference running BR8ES vs. B8ES in a healthy GS. What the long-term effects may be, I have no idea.

That extra "R" just... it bugs me.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                  I've made the move to resistor plugs anyway, as it's better to change out the complete plug and resistor every X- thousand miles, than wait for the inevitable degradation of the inbuilt resistor in the plug cap.
                  Plug caps are the Cinderellas of the ignition world.
                  Good point.

I'm running aftermarket resistor wires with Dyna 3 ohm coils. My hazy understanding is that you need a resistor somewhere in the system (wires, plugs, or plugs cap), but you don't need more than one. So I use B8ES plugs.

Maybe the added resistance of resistor plugs doesn't make a difference, maybe it does...?
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

So change to non resistor caps and the R wont scare you. As you read directly from NGK there arent gonna be anymore B8ES once existing supply is sold out.

Or use the other plug which is a non resistor plug with your resistor caps. Either way sooner or later youll never get B8ES
                    Last edited by chuck hahn; 05-24-2021, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      So change to non resistor caps and the R wont scare you. As you read directly from NGK there arent gonna be anymore B8ES once existing supply is sold out.

Or use the other plug which is a non resistor plug with your resistor caps. Either way sooner or later youll never get B8ES

That's the best way,just use non-resistor plug caps:NGK has them.I just don't know the stock number.I was told by a guy who understands resistors,etc. and he told me it's best to use just one resistor in the system and said using two resistor sources can change how the plug fires and makes the spark not-optimum.I hope someone can steer me toward some NGK or other foreign car non-resistor plug caps designed as well as the original NGK stock Suzuki caps,these OEM ones are quality Made in Japan.The other thing some folks were saying was:if you have the older style OEM plug(NGK)caps,the brass resistor part where it snaps onto the threads of the top stud on the spark plug,it can be unscrewed and then remove the resistor and substitute a similar size piece of round steel rod along with the small spring inside there,screw it back together and you've now created a non-resistor plug cap.I would rather purchase new non-resistor plug caps myself.

Comment

Next question : Is there an equivalent non resistor plug from another manufacturer/brand?
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Denso W24ES-U possibly?
                          I would like to have said Nippon Denso I miss those solid,old ND's and wonder what ever happened to the company to stop producing their excellent product.
                          Last edited by grcamna2; 05-25-2021, 11:42 AM.

Comment

man, glad I saw this thread, just found some at $2.50 each and ordered a dozen.

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
                              Denso W24ES-U possibly?

Yep, that's the other OEM plug; you see both in the fiches. The supply of these can be a little spotty, but they're still available through RockAuto.com, and so I suppose they're not actually discontinued.

With both Denso and NGK, it's easier sometimes to use the numeric designation; for some damfool reason, most places don't list them by the code W24ES-U or B8ES. These codes designate the various specs of the plugs.

So for Denso W24ES-U, look for Denso 4030.

For NGK B8ES, look for NGK 2411.

I do know some places will substitute without telling you. I ordered 8 B8ES plugs from Napa a few years ago, and they supplied four BR8ES and the last four B8ES in their warehouse. Fortunately, it was a store pickup so I was able to decline the BR8ES plugs.
                              Eat more venison.

Comment

Working...
                              X