No announcement yet.

Ngk plug shortahe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for getting the info right from the source, chuck!

And now we even have non-resistor replacement part numbers, which I can use until I have to replace my plug caps (unfortunately still have them, fortunately still good).

As for resistance, I think a healthy GS ignition system (or modern coils) can take both resistor plugs and plug caps (when I got my first bike, I've ran for about a year with caps that were nearly dead and went way up in resistance).
    But you're doing both yourself and your coils no favors, methinks. And same as foregoing resistors completely; I'm not sure if and how much spark timing changes, but spark strength surely is impacted.

Replacements must match at the least those specs:

- 14mm thread,
    - 1.25 pitch
    - 19mm reach
    - 0.8mm gap

Heat range I'd think depends on one's engine/location/driving style; terminal type (nut/screw) depends on one's spark plug caps anyway. As for the hex size, I'm not sure if bigger than 21 mm (maybe 22...) would still fit our engines.

So, to recap; so far we've got:

B8ES Replacements:
    (Usual) Order # Remarks
    Denso 4030 W24ES-U
    NGK 4554 R5671A-8, "Racing Plug", oh my...

Can confirm the hack with removing the resistor from resistor plugs, but it's quite a hassle to get a nicely fitting metal part in there. And in any case, I don't think with that hack you'll get a good contact...So you'll get the odd spark in the plug itself, which leads to charring, more resistance, more sparks and .... eh, maybe if you're in a pinch, or need a solution until nice fresh non-resistor caps arrive. Maybe this is also why resistor caps go bad 🤔
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Lots and lots of equivalent plugs

Comment

I just ordered two sets of plugs for my bike from partsfish.com -- will pick them up at the dealership 20 minutes away. $2.41 each. No shipping charges, just the local sales tax $20.63 total

edit: on the partsfish description it states "spark plug C&EC and N&EN; NOK,B-8ES.. So they are not claiming to be NGK but if it's good enough for Suzuki then I will keep on using them. No problems with previous purchases of said plugs.
        Last edited by alke46; 05-25-2021, 10:57 PM.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

For my GS650G, the original spec was your choice of NGK D8EA or Denso X24ESU ( Denso 4099) Got 4 of the available Denso's on Rock auto for less than $1.50 a piece.

For the NGK B8ES sub, the Denso 4030 ( W24ESU) is available at Rock Auto for $1.32 ea. plus shipping. Or at Amazon for $5.60 ea.
          1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

I had read or heard someplace that there were fake NGK plugs available. Does anybody know if this might be true?
            sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I read that also about fake NGK plugs.I've purchased 'fake' Denso By that I mean,they weren't Nippon Denso.. The cheap copies for 'Denso' plugs aren't Made in Japan and I'm not sure(China?)just where they're made,but they don't last.They also have a cheap plating which tends to flake-off when run hard and burn onto the center porcelain and cause the plugs to foul.I ordered some and used a dull safety razor and I was able to scratch the plating stuff right off the inside(inside the firing zone)steel of the plug:I wouldn't doubt that would foul the plug later.I know the Automotive places will sell you genuine NGK plugs if you ask them.I would bring a spare new NGK in the box with you when you go to pick them up,have a look at the color of the plating,the box it comes in,the shape of the porcelain,electrodes,etc. and see if they match a genuine one.
              Last edited by grcamna2; 05-26-2021, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                I had read or heard someplace that there were fake NGK plugs available. Does anybody know if this might be true?
                There are some fake NGK's about but they are easy to spot.
                NGK give a full rundown of the differences on their web site but the main things to look for are a lack of four digit number on the socket hex and a loose sealing washer that nearly falls off the threads.
                I buy boxes of 10 via EBAY ( I have filled up a large NGK plug rack with B8es and B9es with a couple of hundred to cover any future needs )
                They work out around £1.50 per plug and if any happened to be fake ( which non have ever been so far ) It would be easy to return them for a refund.
                Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
                VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

I don't understand how you use these interchangably. My bike has BR8ES installed, and it has a tiny tip where the plug cap goes, the B8ES is like, twice as wide? It feels like too much resistance to the plug cap on.

It seems B8ES is avail in Norway tho, somewhat pricy if I recall.'

Edit: You just unscrew the top metal bit.
                  Last edited by Noreg; 05-26-2021, 05:37 PM.
                  GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by zed1015 View Post
                    There are some fake NGK's about but they are easy to spot.
                    NGK give a full rundown of the differences on their web site but the main things to look for are a lack of four digit number on the socket hex and a loose sealing washer that nearly falls off the threads.
                    I buy boxes of 10 via EBAY ( I have filled up a large NGK plug rack with B8es and B9es with a couple of hundred to cover any future needs )
                    They work out around £1.50 per plug and if any happened to be fake ( which non have ever been so far ) It would be easy to return them for a refund.
                    Thanks for the response useful information there.
                    I had a look on the NGK site but couldn't find anything, however this helps...

Warning - non genuine spark plugs.... - South Coast Classic Racing (scc-racing.com)
                    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                      Thanks for the response useful information there.
                      I had a look on the NGK site but couldn't find anything, however this helps...

Warning - non genuine spark plugs.... - South Coast Classic Racing (scc-racing.com)
                      I buy mine from greensparkplug uk, as I'm certain he has only genuine stuff in.
                      Spark Plugs UK Retailer NGK Bosch Champion Denso Bosch, Ignition, Fuel, Auto Electrical Wiring, Battery From Leading Brands. Also Stocking Modern Variants For Vintage & Classic Vehicles.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                        I buy mine from greensparkplug uk, as I'm certain he has only genuine stuff in.
                        https://www.gsparkplug.com/
                        He has everything! Thanks for that. bookmarked for when I get back
                        sigpic

Comment

I noticed this written in the owner's manual for my 850. Wonder if these two are on the chopping block along with the B8ES.

"B7ES or Denso W22ES-U if the standard plug is apt to get wet, replace with this plug."

"B9ES or Denso W27ES-U if the standard plug is apt to overheat, replace with this plug."

It gets pretty darn hot here in the Southwest, but I've never felt the need to use the B9ES. What heat range or engine running symptom would warrant that change?

On the other hand, in wet conditions, pffft like that'll ever happen here, could the engine stall and warrant the B7ES?
                          Roger

Current rides
                          1983 GS 850G
                          2003 FJR 1300A
                          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                            I noticed this written in the owner's manual for my 850. Wonder if these two are on the chopping block along with the B8ES.

"B7ES or Denso W22ES-U if the standard plug is apt to get wet, replace with this plug."

"B9ES or Denso W27ES-U if the standard plug is apt to overheat, replace with this plug."

It gets pretty darn hot here in the Southwest, but I've never felt the need to use the B9ES. What heat range or engine running symptom would warrant that change?

On the other hand, in wet conditions, pffft like that'll ever happen here, could the engine stall and warrant the B7ES?

Hi Roger,I think it depends on spark plug color.The B7ES is a hotter plug which would be considered if you rode the bike for short distances in cold(below 38 degrees)weather/or if your stock B8ES plugs were running too cold and fouling.The B9ES cold plugs are possibly for running the bike at a steady 110+mph in hot weather:they dissipate heat faster than your stock B8ES which is already a fairly cool plug.

Comment

I can't remember the last time I bought NGKs. There are lots of alternatives that I haven't had any problems with.

Comment

ND W24ES-U are excellent

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                                X