Back Into Bikes, '77 GS750 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back Into Bikes, '77 GS750 Project

Hey, everyone! My name is Allen. I was on this forum years ago as Flaming Chainsaws. And now I'm bike into another GS.

So the way I got this bike... It really wasn't planned at all. I never really thought about getting another bike. I recently moved my project cars to my friends parents shed.

And in the shed next to where we keep the cars, I found this bike. A 1977 Suzuki GS750.

Rolled out of the shed. Hasn't seen sunlight since 1993.

And into the shed next door.

All that dust came with the bike, free of charge.

The rust did as well...

Now as you can see, it's definitely crusty. It will need lots of elbow grease. But for $100... Why not. So the story is, the starter motor went out and my friends dad had a bad leg so he wasn't able to use the kickstarter. He started on replacing the starter motor and then just stopped and has sat since 1993. And now, here I am 28 years later.

The plan is to of course get everything working again. And then we'll see from there. I plan on something between a cafe and a fighter style.
    Last edited by Zerospirit; 05-25-2021, 10:08 PM.
    1977 Suzuki GS750
    1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Here is how it currently sits after a quick wipe down. Cleans up somewhat well. Removed all the bars in the back as well. Carbs are also off...

And taken apart.

Ewww! Sticky varnish everywhere.

After 24 hour dip in Berryman's.

Cleaned the rest off with brake clean and compressed air. I put it together using the o-ring kit from cycle-rings.com. Next time, I'm gonna change the oil, spark plugs, and add some fresh gas. Maybe it will start?
    Last edited by Zerospirit; 05-25-2021, 10:03 PM.
    1977 Suzuki GS750
    1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

That's a nice Barn Find GS750

Comment

Can't see the pics.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Yeah, c'mon man fix them pics!
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Oh really? I can see fine from both my computer and phone. Maybe I’ll have to try a different image hosting site. I’ll try to get it fixed tonight!
            1977 Suzuki GS750
            1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Heck, fix the pictures. I can't even see if it's a red or a blue one. You know the red ones were faster. Oh yeah, welcome back.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

OK, I think I got the pictures fixed. I switched from Google photos to Imageshack. Although I was able to see pictures from both image host sites. Let me know if it worked!

I've been thinking about bringing the bike to my house so I can work on it more often. Because as of right now, I only go to the shed once a week on Sunday. There is a lot of work to do to it so that may be the move.
                Last edited by Zerospirit; 05-25-2021, 10:10 PM.
                1977 Suzuki GS750
                1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Well that was worth waiting for - looks like it's going to clean up very nicely. Is that the air-horn compressor mounted in front of the head?
                  -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                    Well that was worth waiting for - looks like it's going to clean up very nicely. Is that the air-horn compressor mounted in front of the head?
                    Yeah, it sure is. I had a jump box connected and it does still work. Quite loud. But it is bulky and a bit of an eye sore. I'll be changing it back to a more normal, modern horn.
                    1977 Suzuki GS750
                    1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Yeeeaaap, that's what I was hoping to see. The red "77" GS750 was my first real bike. Looks way too nice for the Cafe or the fighter thing, that thing, put back like it should be, will make a really nice bike. Congrats & good luck. Keep us updated, We'll be watching.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Nice! Looking forward to your watch your progress!
                        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

What I meant by modding is maybe going GSXR front end and GS1100E swingarm. Maybe Bandit swingarm? And of course keep the spoke style wheels.

Reason being is that the brakes and suspension are completely shot. We'll see if it can be rebuilt. If not, I'd rather upgrade. But I'm still a long way before I even think about mods.

Anyways, I took the bike home. So that I can work on it everyday instead of just one day a week. Like I said before, this will take some work and I'd like to ride it at least once before year ends.

It'll be a while till it's back at this shed. So many projects in the back lol...

And all loaded up.

My garage is currently a mess. So I gotta get that all cleaned first then I will assess the bike some more.
                          Last edited by Zerospirit; 05-26-2021, 11:30 PM.
                          1977 Suzuki GS750
                          1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Disaster... Was trying to replace the spark plugs and snap. Ok, shouldn't be too big of a deal. So i tried PB blaster, let it soak for a bit, then heated it up with a MAP gas torch and extractor.

Also snap.

Well that sucks. Guess the engine has to come out. This seems to be the best way.

It's almost bare.

Under the valve cover is very clean.

I'm going to keep trying to extract the spark plugs. I'm gonna start with pulling the head from the engine. But worst case, I'll put a new head on. Already bought one for $50 haha.

This has turned into a bigger project than expected. Might as well make the engine look nice. The frame could use some paint. Harness? Let's make that nice too.
                            1977 Suzuki GS750
                            1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Pulled the head off. It has been leaking oil at the head gasket as you can see towards front of engine. I guess it's OK that the spark plug snapped and I couldn't extract it so I had to buy a new head.

Cleaned it. Came out good. Was thinking of painting the engine but will probably just leave it as is.

Timing chain and guides look to be in great shape. I'm gonna leave that alone.

Pretty much just a roller now. Good time to refresh the frame.

And now back to the problem of the whole reason why this bike got parked. Starter motor went bad as I was told. When I got to it, it was missing the large flywheel gear but the magneto was still in place??? And the little gear in between starter and flywheel was missing.

Replaced starter motor as well and the oil seal. Hoping the electric start system is good! But with my luck, watch it be another problem

Slowly chipping away at this thing. My new to me head will be here tomorrow. So the engine should be all back together. But it will still be a while longer before I put the engine back in the frame.

I want to paint the frame and I just found out there is severe play in the rear wheel bearing. More parts to order!
                              Last edited by Zerospirit; 05-31-2021, 09:48 PM.
                              1977 Suzuki GS750
                              1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                              X