No announcement yet.

Back Into Bikes, '77 GS750 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'll say it - welcome back. Was wondering what happened to you but glad you found a new project
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      So I'll say it - welcome back. Was wondering what happened to you but glad you found a new project
      Hey! Long time no see. Also glad to have this project, especially being a GS.

So I finished the project already...

Just kidding. I hope that mine can be like that someday. It appears to be stock besides the seat and rear sets.

Got some stuff done. New to me head is on. Everything looked to be in fantastic shape. Was told it had 10,000 miles and it sure looked it. Valve clearance set and timing set. New gaskets and torqued to spec.

I've also gone through the wiring harness. I checked and cleaned the connectors. Verified all the solder joints hidden throughout are good. Replaced the bullet terminals with spade. And rewrapped the whole harness with something much nicer than the OEM electrical tape.

As it sits right now. New Delkevic 4-1 exhaust and a new to me OEM airbox seen under the bike.

I have a bunch more parts coming in. Brakes, wheel bearings, stator, reg/rec, etc. Next step is to paint the frame then I can really start piecing this back together.
      1977 Suzuki GS750
      1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

You ought to look into powdercoating it
        sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

The engine cleaned-up real nice,I like how it looks with the original patina.

Comment

My local powdercoaters are booked for weeks so thats not really an option. So I stripped it down myself and painted with VHT epoxy paint. I've only got the swingarm and rear brake arm done so far.

It's even more taken apart... Check out the new handlebar and grips though.

Man, I knew this was gonna be a project but not this much. Literally everything needs to be fixed/replaced. At this point, I just want to ride.

Next up is brakes. They are completely shot. Not even worth rebuilding. Bleeder screws snapped and pistons are rusted/pitted. Is there an easy upgrade? Or should I just get another set of OEM in good shape?

More parts on order: tires/tubes, chain/sprockets, steering head bearings, rear shocks.
            Last edited by Zerospirit; 06-15-2021, 12:00 AM.
            1977 Suzuki GS750
            1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Salty Monk’s adapters for the twinpot upgrade will work
              sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                Salty Monk’s adapters for the twinpot upgrade will work
                Don't you need to change the forks, too, to use a dual-disk setup?

Or do you stick with a single-disk setup and just upgrade the one piston and disk?
                If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post

Or do you stick with a single-disk setup and just upgrade the one piston and disk?
                  Just replace the lower legs from a '78 or '79.
                  -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Welcome back. Where have you been hanging out?

What's the meaning behind the new name? I know life in the PNW can be tough financially, but what's knocking the spirit out of you?
                    '83 GS650G
                    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post

I thought I read something where he made up a single disk set up but please ask him
                      sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

This PNW heat wave is killer! We can't handle triple digits haha.

New tires and tubes installed. Shinko 712 in 100/90/19 and 120/80/18.

New seat. So much nicer looking than the one that came with this. It will sit about 0.5" lower than the old one which should help me out.

A closer look at the new handlebar. I will need to drill holes in it to fit the control switches. New grips too! Still some rust to clean up...

Starting to take shape. Everything is loosely put on right now so don't mind fitment.

Frame and swingarm is painted as well. New chain has arrived but still waiting for the front and rear sprockets. New front and rear wheel bearings in. Still need to do steering stem bearings. All bearings are from All Balls.

Just waiting for this heatwave to pass then I can really start to put this together.
                        1977 Suzuki GS750
                        1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

I like the look of that seat.
                          Where did you get it? Got a link?
                          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

The '77 steering stem requires a machine shop modification, or replace with a '79 stem.

[IMG][/IMG]
                            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                              I like the look of that seat.
                              Where did you get it? Got a link?
                              From this seller on eBay. I ordered it on June 5 and received it June 25. Fitment and quality seem to be really good.
                              Custom-built handmade classic style motorcycle seat for Suzuki GS750 B C E 1977-1979. This is a complete seat with cover, foam, and seat pan. We will verify it for you. It fits with all the original mounting hardware.

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                              The '77 steering stem requires a machine shop modification, or replace with a '79 stem.
                              Ugh... Of course. I guess steering stem bearings will have to wait for now. My machine shop is sooo booked right now. They've had an engine for one of my other projects for over two months now.

I just realized I should get new suspension. Any recommendations for front springs and rear shocks? Oil for front forks? Is a fork brace worth it?
                              1977 Suzuki GS750
                              1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

The favorite front springs are Sonic Springs, a straight rate setup that aren’t bad while Hagon is still a good choice for the rear.
                                sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                                X