BR8ES or B8ES for GS1000G 1981

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BR8ES or B8ES for GS1000G 1981

I got B8ES spark plugs for my bike after checking the clymer manual, but in it is BR8ES spark plugs. The B8ES does not fit my spark plug wire things...

Is Clymer wrong? Has the PO upgraded it? Downgraded it?

My plug looked like this: https://imgur.com/a/GinUCAY Is it just old or? I am assuming it shouldn't look like that...
    GS1000G 1981

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
    I got B8ES spark plugs for my bike after checking the clymer manual, but in it is BR8ES spark plugs. The B8ES does not fit my spark plug wire things...

Is Clymer wrong? Has the PO upgraded it? Downgraded it?

My plug looked like this: https://imgur.com/a/GinUCAY Is it just old or? I am assuming it shouldn't look like that...
    Yeah, that plug is toasted, you could clean it up, maybe, but why. The "R" means a plug with a built in resistor, meaning your plug caps should NOT be resistor. type if using that plug. There is a big thread about these two plugs and the fact NGK has stopped making the B8ES in one of the other rooms. https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?261324-Ngk-plug-shortahe&referrerid=50449
    Last edited by nate665; 05-26-2021, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nate665 View Post
      Yeah, that plug is toasted, you could clean it up, maybe, but why. The "R" means a plug with a built in resistor, meaning your plug caps should NOT be resistor. type if using that plug. There is a big thread about these two plugs and the fact NGK has stopped making the B8ES in one of the other rooms.
      I see now the manual says change plugs every 24 hours or 12 000 km, then I am at least 15 000 kilometres overdue. These were in when I got the bike, so no telling when they were last replaced.

The B8ES did not seem to fit inside the plug caps? They have wider tops.

Edit: The B8ES is like twice as wide as the BR8ES. Not sure if I can or should try to push the plug caps on.
      Last edited by Noreg; 05-26-2021, 04:46 PM.
      GS1000G 1981

Comment

spin the little terminal nut off the top and see if fits. Some caps are made to have that nut removed.

Comment

See if the cap screws off of the new plugs’ terminals. See video.

Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

If you have to remove the terminal nut to fit the plug cap, that means it's resistor type plug cap and should not have been running R type plugs (I think) because then you have double resistor.

Comment

Originally posted by nate665 View Post
              spin the little terminal nut off the top and see if fits. Some caps are made to have that nut removed.
              Ah, I tried spinning but it was somewhat hard. But I got it now. All three changed. Now I have to wait til tomorrow to fire her up and see if it worked.
              GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                Ah, I tried spinning but it was somewhat hard. But I got it now. All three changed. Now I have to wait til tomorrow to fire her up and see if it worked.
                four???????
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                  four???????
                  Yes, four. I have no idea why I wrote three...
                  GS1000G 1981

Comment

You were just checking to see if we were paying attention.
                    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Working...
                    X