Airplane fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airplane fuel

A friend of mine has a 103 Harley dyna. I'm sure my 78 GS 1000 will smoke it. I thought a couple quarts of airplane fuel added in my fuel tank would give me a boost. Has anyone done this, and is there anyway it would hurt my bike?
    1978 GS 1000

Originally posted by Kingjoel View Post
    A friend of mine has a 103 Harley dyna. I'm sure my 78 GS 1000 will smoke it. I thought a couple quarts of airplane fuel added in my fuel tank would give me a boost. Has anyone done this, and is there anyway it would hurt my bike?
    Won't hurt, won't help. AVGAS has no more energy per gallon than regular gas. Save your money.
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I'm not sure AVgas will make your bike run better;depending on the CR that your bike has.High compression engines love high octane fuel as they don't ping/preignition like they do on low octane regular.I'm hoping to locate a place where I can purchase non-ethanol/Ethanol Free gasoline.I think 89 octane ethanol-free gas would be just right for my use.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Would 110 octane racing fuel be any different?
        1978 GS 1000

Comment

That thing will smoke it either way he will just get a quick jump in front for a bit
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by Kingjoel View Post
            Thanks for your reply. Would 110 octane racing fuel be any different?
            No. The only fuels that will make more power are special oxygenated ones, and you need to rejet to see any gains.
            The advantage higher octane fuels have is that they allow you to run a higher compression ratio and/or more ignition advance. Just dumping high octane fuel into an existing engine with no mods does nothing for power.
            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Octane means diddly squat for power added or power lost.

What is octane rating? Octane rating is the measure of a fuel's ability to resist "knocking" or "pinging" during combustion, caused by the air/fuel mixture detonating prematurely in the engine
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I ran an old Mini van on avgas for a couple of years, simply because it was free.
                It did nothing for performance, nor did I expect it to, but it definitely ran smoother.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by grimly View Post
                  i ran an old mini van on avgas for a couple of years, simply because it was free.
                  It did nothing for performance, nor did i expect it to, but it definitely ran smoother.
                  free avgas??
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

The often unmentioned advantage to real race gas, is it's ability to store well over time. Normal "gas" rots in a short time. Real race gas remains stable and usable for long periods of time without the need for fuel treatments of any kind.
                    Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
                    Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Avgas has lower vapour pressure. Doesn't flash off as fast as Mogas.
                      Vintage aircraft, around here, running Mogas are restricted to 5000ft altitude to prevent vapour locking.
                      97 R1100R
                      Previous
                      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                        The advantage higher octane fuels have is that they allow you to run a higher compression ratio and/or more ignition advance.
                        The part that actually provides the power is the higher compression. However, higher compression means more heat, and that tends to light the mixture before the spark. Higher-octane fuel resists that heat, which allows you to use the higher compression. Part Two: higher-octane fuel is harder to ignite and it burns slower. You need to advance the ignition timing to compensate for that.

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                        Just dumping high octane fuel into an existing engine with no mods does nothing for power.
                        If anything, it will REDUCE power. Higher-octane fuel (I refuse to call it "Premium") actually contains fewer BTUs per gallon than lower-octane fuels. Then, referencing the points above, note that along with the lower energy content, add in the slower burning, which won't be done in time to support peak pressure, you will get less power from your engine.
                        If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                          free avgas??
                          I had drained 10gal to change a Bonanza fuel cell. Owner didn't want it back so I ran it in my various lawn ICEs. Everything use to start on the first pull with 87. Not the case with the 100LL.
                          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I'm not an aviation guy, but I believe there are a number of grades of leaded aviation piston engine fuel. The common one was always 100LL , "low lead", which actually has a good bit of lead at about .5 gm/liter. I have heard of a no lead Mogas, which is more like 90 PON zero ethanol pipeline gasoline. I recall some folks using the 100LL in built high compression cars and bikes at least 50 years ago. I believe most quit it due to the Reid evap formulation being optimized for altitude in Aviation fuel. Maybe not so good for cooler temps on the ground?

The highest octane auto fuel in the US. these days is 90 PON, was 91 until a couple of years ago. ( Research + Motor rating numbers, divided by 2). Anything higher is ethanol dosed after the pipeline or a race gas specialty. I'm fortunate to have about 5 stations that sell zero Ethanol pipeline reformulated not too far away. Some are 89 PON, others 90 PON. My GS seems to run fine on them. No trace of pinging.

edit: I didn't see Brendan's previous post about the vapour pressure of Av gas.
                            Last edited by hank2; 05-30-2021, 12:53 AM.
                            1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

We had a gas back in the 90's around here called "Turbo Blue", and it was listed at 104 octane. A bit pricey. My GS1100 EZ would ping a bit in hot weather so I would put a gallon of it in & top off with regular. It stopped the pinging cold. Stations carried the stuff for the stock car racers who push the compression pretty high.

Comment

Working...
                              X