Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs and Rugs

dpep is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Default Dogs and Rugs

I have two small dogs that I "inherited" from women who could no longer take care of them (my ex-wife who left her dog when she split and a neighbor lady who passed away last year).

I felt sorry for them (the dogs, not the women) and don't mind the time they require or the vet bills. It wasn't their fault they were suddenly without their master. But there is one thing that frustrates the hell out of me and that is their occasional use of rugs in my house for a pee spot. It smells and if I don't catch it right away it will soak through and stain my hardwood floors.

They get walked twice a day plus I always keep pads down for in between. Most of the time they wait for their walk or use their pads. But sometimes for a reason that has so far escaped me they feel the need to relieve themselves on one of the runners or room rugs I have around the house.

I am desperate for anything that will signal off limits. My internet searches say vinegar, lemon juice, alcohol, baking soda individually or in some combination(s). I am not sure I want my home to permanently smell like a tossed salad but if that is what it takes. I am also willing to try store bought solutions but there are too many on the market for me to trial and error them all.

I know we have a lot of dog owners on GSR. And at least some of you must have dealt with this problem at some point. I would love to hear anyone's experience as to what worked and what didn't.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2009 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

My wife took in a dog that some elderly women who lived in a high rise senior living center could no longer take care of. Its a Pomeranian.

In our Kitchen we have three of these floor pads, supposed to be and advertised good for your feet? two x three feet pads.

We would take the dog out for hours and hang out with it and take it for a small walk and nothing, soon as we would bring it in, it would go on those kitchen pads.

I ask our town animal control gal about the situation and she informed me the older lady that had the dog lived on forth floor and bought pads for dogs to go potty on and rarely took the dog outside? But she offered no advice but to continue taking dog outside and maybe it would see my other dogs doing the same .

Not any dog expert by any means.....
    So I had thrown away the pads we had and bought the doggy pads. and took them outside and it worked, and after a week I started cutting the pads in half and half until they were about a three by three inch square.

Then the little dog just went and didn't pay any attention to the small squares ? It took about two and half to three months to accomplish this, then my wife found another woman that just loved and wanted the dog.

Probably not much help but thats all I got that relates to your situation and sometimes it takes trying a few things, dogs in new surroundings act stupid sometimes and sometimes they come out of it
    Last edited by trent; 05-28-2021 at 01:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trent View Post
    My wife took in a dog that some elderly women who lived in a high rise senior living center could no longer take care of. Its a Pomeranian.

In our Kitchen we have three of these floor pads, supposed to be and advertised good for your feet? two x three feet pads.

We would take the dog out for hours and hang out with it and take it for a small walk and nothing, soon as we would bring it in, it would go on those kitchen pads.

I ask our town animal control gal about the situation and she informed me the older lady that had the dog lived on forth floor and bought pads for dogs to go potty on and rarely took the dog outside? But she offered no advice but to continue taking dog outside and maybe it would see my other dogs doing the same .

Not any dog expert by any means.....
    So I had thrown away the pads we had and bought the doggy pads. and took them outside and it worked, and after a week I started cutting the pads in half and half until they were about a three by three inch square.

Then the little dog just went and didn't pay any attention to the small squares ? It took about two and half to three months to accomplish this, then my wife found another woman that just loved and wanted the dog.

Probably not much help but thats all I got that relates to your situation and sometimes it takes trying a few things, dogs in new surroundings act stupid sometimes and sometimes they come out of it
    Good advice. Bring the pad outside and take the dogs to same spot, every time. Twice a day is probably not enough since you are trying to break a habit and create a new one.

Reward the dogs for taking care of business outside and give them a stern " NO " if they do it inside.

Baatfam is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

It can be a frustrating problem, and once it starts, it's hard to stop, especially if you are not there all the time.

Our old dog is almost 16 and is starting to have accidents. She was always good for most of her years, so not really a training issue, just age. Which means I have no advice on stopping the behavior. Limiting her water before bed, and taking her out during the night has really helped. Being retired, and not gone all day also helps. We wanted to replace flooring on the main level, but we've put that on hold until....

But, when she does have an accident, have been using Nature's Miracle, enzyme based odor killing products, with some success. I believe they have one with something added to discourage the dog from the spot, but can't say how well it works.
    Bob T.

"That which you manifest is before you." -- Enzo
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
    "...for our existence to hold any value, it must end. To live meaningful lives, we must die and not return." -- Number Six

'83 GS1100E ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '99 TRIUMPH TROPHY 900 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

earlfor is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

For the 20 years I've been here, I've always had four dogs. Always a mix of sizes and types. Currently, two sheps, a cavalier and a Jack Russel. In that order about 100 lbs, 100lbs, 40 lbs and 15 lbs. The big one can hold it better and can do with about 4 outs a day. The smallest (little dog, little bladder), needs to Pee about every 4 hours or less. Poops are about twice a day for all. lol On average, mine are out about 8 times a day.

The reason they Pee on the floor is because they need to and they have no alternative if they aren't out enough.
    Even so, make "quick outs" no less than ten minutes. If I took you outside and said you have ten seconds, pee and poop, you couldn't do it either. lol Basically, they need a bathroom break about 6 times a day minimum, and usually 10-15 minutes will be long enough. When they have to go, they have to go, and nothing you put on the floor is going to change that.

My solution is a small fenced in run directly off the back porch with a dog door in it. They are safe and contained and have access 24 hrs a day. My run is large, but even a 8 x 10 would be fine for a small dog to be able to walk around. This is the easiest, way to deal with the potty problem I've found. Dog's systems and people's are not the same schedule. It will take a few days to teach them to use a dog door if they don't already know how.

Additionally, the dogs can be trained to come and tell you when they need to go out, but it takes some time and they will need to learn a key phrase that identifies the question, when they ask or you ask. Learning their answer is also required. It's going to take a bit of time and effort, so it isn't a quick and easy solution. It's a half owner, half dog, communication and understanding problem.
    Last edited by earlfor; 05-28-2021 at 12:14 PM.
    I went to the grocery store and there was a sign at the door. It said no food or drinks inside.
    ........So I went home.

Don, in addition to the other great advice above, I’d suggest the twice a day for outdoor potty opportunities is not enough. 3-4 minimum.

GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Vmass View Post

Reward the dogs for taking care of business outside and give them a stern " NO " if they do it inside.
    A No only is understood if they are caught in the act. If you did something 30 minutes ago and I walked past and yelled No at you, you would be wondering WTF just like them. lol
    Last edited by earlfor; 05-28-2021 at 12:16 PM.
    I went to the grocery store and there was a sign at the door. It said no food or drinks inside.
    ........So I went home.

Quote Originally Posted by Vmass View Post
    ...give them a stern " NO " if they do it inside.
    My tenants had a toddler and an old dog. In one part of the house, I frequently heard "a stern no" through the ceiling and always thought, "I wonder what the kid is doing?"

You guessed it...tenants didn't get their security deposit back.

A brother has two big dogs and an 'invisible' electronic fence. Works fine, doesn't hurt the dogs, especially since they know never to even go far enough to get shocked.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
    My tenants had a toddler and an old dog. In one part of the house, I frequently heard "a stern no" through the ceiling and always thought, "I wonder what the kid is doing?"

You guessed it...tenants didn't get their security deposit back.

A brother has two big dogs and an 'invisible' electronic fence. Works fine, doesn't hurt the dogs, especially since they know never to even go far enough to get shocked.

That does not address the problem. You need to pee and I solve that by locking the bathroom door so you can't today.
    ........So I went home.

dpep is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by earlfor View Post
    The reason they Pee on the floor is because they need to and they have no alternative if they aren't out enough.
    Earl, they have the alternative of pads which they do use for pee and occasionally poop most of the time.

I am assuming that the problem is smell related. Most dog things are. I have a 100 year old house which I am sure is full of smell messages that I can't detect but they can. If so my best hope I believe would be to put down something to repel that has a stronger odor than whatever is attracting them.

My temporary fix so far has been to cover everything with some form of plastic, mostly the 27" wide carpet runner product that you cut off a roll at the hardware store. Solves the problem but not exactly in elegant fashion and is a bit of a trip hazard.

I have ordered a couple of items--a uv light and a spray repellent--that should arrive tomorrow. I will report any progress I make.
    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2009 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650