1982 GS750E 530 Chain Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS750E 530 Chain Conversion

Planning to do the 530 chain conversion but would like a bit lower RPM at highway speeds (less buzzy). Thinking of going with 16T front sprocket (stock is 41R/15F). Suggestions (stick with stock or go up 1 or 2 teeth?) are welcomed.

Looking at this kit, I can specify larger sprocket if desired:

https://www.motosport.com/sunstar-53...ce=pdp&variant[SUT0001]=SUT0001-X001-Y219

When doing a 530 conversion you need to be mindful of the front sprocket diameter. A 15T front in 630 is roughly equal to an 18T in 530. If you have clearance you can try a 19T front, what will lower rpm's on the freeway a noticeable amount.

41/15 = 2.73 ratio

18 x 2.73 = 49T rear sprocket (for the stock ratio)

You will also need a longer chain. 630 = 6/8 between links. 530 = 5/8. It's simple math to figure out chain length against the stock chain. Just be sure to round up to the nearest even number.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks Nessism!

I was curious, knowing that the 530 links are shorter I expected the sprockets to be smaller as well. It is interesting that the web site I linked above shows the new 530 sprockets (for 1982 GS750E) to be 41/15 with a 96 link chain, same numbers as the stock 630 setup.

Comment

Won't he need a spacer as well for the front sprocket?
        No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
          Won't he need a spacer as well for the front sprocket?
          I do not believe so on the GS750...

Comment

Originally posted by DucatiDave View Post
            I do not believe so on the GS750...
            It was almost ten years ago that I did my 80 gs750e but pretty sure it needed one....
            No signature

Comment

Hmmm, the plot thickens! I did use the Search function here and saw posts about the spacer being needed on 1000s and/or 1100s due to the fact that the OEM front sprocket was wider at the base (along the spindle) than the replacement sprockets. The width at the teeth is the same as the links are the same width. The spacer was needed because the nut that holds the sprocket on would not bottom out due to the reduced width at the shaft so the sprocket was "loose".

Look forward to responses from others who have experience with the 750.

BTW, I called Motosport and ended up ordering 16/42 to replace my 15/41. The chains all come in 120 link lengths so no issue there (calculations show I will need 116 links instead of the 96 from the 630 chain).

Comment

I always thought the 6mm spacer was required behind the front sprocket on all the 750/1000/1100 conversions.
                Check with Z1Enterprises, they used to offer a complete kit.
                Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Just did mine recently and needed the spacer. IIRC, my research indicated that, of the 80's 16v 750s, the T and E need the spacer on the outside, the L did not (something of a different sprocket design of L). Z1 had the recommendation when I went on the site to order my sprockets.

Here's the thread on my conversion w/ some good advice and links to what I bought, but I kept the standard ratio.
                  Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-28-2021, 02:10 PM.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Omg...I am just thrilled that I have been useful in a mechanical thread!
                    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                      Omg...I am just thrilled that I have been useful in a mechanical thread!
                      Winning!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                        Just did mine recently and needed the spacer. IIRC, my research indicated that, of the 80's 16v 750s, the T and E need the spacer on the outside, the L did not (something of a different sprocket design of L). Z1 had the recommendation when I went on the site to order my sprockets.

Here's the thread on my conversion w/ some good advice and links to what I bought, but I kept the standard ratio.

Thanks Rich! I wish my search had led me to your thread, very helpful! I just ordered a 6mm spacer from Z1 just in case.

Comment

The spacer goes on the outside of the front sprocket, directly under the nut. This is because the sprockets are thinner so it’s the “outside” that changes position relative to the 630 as the inside “stop” or point the sprocket touches is still the same both front and back.
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                            The spacer goes on the outside of the front sprocket, directly under the nut. This is because the sprockets are thinner so it’s the “outside” that changes position relative to the 630 as the inside “stop” or point the sprocket touches is still the same both front and back.
                            Got it... thanks!!

Comment

I don't know if this is helpful as I have an 1150efe.

I thought the the lower cases are the same size but I could be wrong, I required a spacer for my conversion. The chain then made contact with the peg hanger, I removed two washers on the hanger to gain clearance and reversed the rear sprocket so that the dish shape faced inwards to gain another 2mm. I suspect part of contact the problem was because the 630 rear sprocket was considerably larger than the 530 and the chain hung lower than with the smaller 45t sprocket.

I used an 18t on the front (17 works as well) and a went with a 45t on the rear, a nice improvement in fuel range. No significant acceleration loss as I've previously increased hp/torque and trimmed 45lbs in weight.

Saved another 3lbs in weight reduction for the 530 vs the old 630 setup.

It's helpful to use a laser for the initial setup to confirm it all lines up.
                              1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Working...
                              X