Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to the Forums, a bit about me and the bike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the Forums, a bit about me and the bike.

Sup guys, you've been a lot of help getting my bike going, so I just wanted to say I appreciate what you all have started here.
    My names Victor, i love in Salt lake City. I just got a 1981 GS750L from a neighbor for free with 5I miles on it. It had been sitting out for awhile but i managed to get it running.

So.... here's what I've done to it.

I cut out the suspension on the back and welded up the swing arm solid. Rewired new custom handlebar switches and led blinkers as well as head light and tail light. Our a solo seat on it. Pod filters with chopped straight pipes. Dynojet stage 3 kit. 130 mains yadda yadda. Lowered the front forks. A d basically bobbed it out.

That's my bike in a nutshell.

Thanks again for all the help!
    Attached Files

Thanks for posting Vic, always fun to hear a cool story. I am more of a boring stock guy but you have put together a nice ride!470D4367-33DE-4332-9FE6-D03AE8D033E2.jpg
    Last edited by Markrkolb; 05-28-2021, 05:46 PM.
    sigpic 79 gs550 80 gs550 250 rebel

Comment

Surely there's a typo there and you didn't cut up a vintage bike that had merely 51 Miles on it.
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Thanks for posting Vic, always fun to hear a cool story. I am more of a boring stock guy but you have put together a ride...Welcome
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
          Surely there's a typo there and you didn't cut up a vintage bike that had merely 51 Miles on it.
          Hope it was 51K.
          But he at least put a mudguard on the back.
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I'll quote my brother. "L's don't feel any pain when you cut on them" ...
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
              Hope it was 51K.
              But he at least put a mudguard on the back.
              "i" is right above "k" on my keyboard. So it could be 5k miles, which would be quite low as well.

I don't want to be unwelcoming to a newcomer, but those pipes make it hard.

Do you live far from other people?
              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                I'll quote my brother. "L's don't feel any pain when you cut on them" ...
                Your Brother is wise.
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                  Your Brother is wise.
                  Haha, I don't know about that🤔. Here is what he was referring to when he said that. He is in the process of restoring his 1980? GS 1100L (chain drive) He is replacing the triple clamp bearings and races.
                  Attached Files
                  My Motorcycles:
                  22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                  22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                  82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                  81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)
                  80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                    Haha, I don't know about that🤔. Here is what he was referring to when he said that. He is in the process of restoring his 1980? GS 1100L (chain drive) He is replacing the triple clamp bearings and races.
                    In all fairness, I didnt really know what I had until I started chopping at the frame. I come a long history of hot hods and choppers. So, this being my first bike my first initial instinct was chop and drop. And you know what, I'm not ashamed about it. It's something you dont see very often.
                    5l was indeed meant to say 5k miles. However because it's been sitting so long it's going to need new seals and gaskets. As well as a a carb rebuild and petcock because I've changed the oil now 3 times thinking I've fixed the fuel leak.

Comment

Vic, cudos for putting together a unique scooter. I am guessing that you are younger than many on the site and your tastes are too hip for the room. To be honest i inwardly cringed when i saw the pic of your ride- but i also cringed when my son bought a KTM with a mono shock. I love looking at all the unique pics and i am thankful that we don’t all want the same thing- how boring would that be? Best wishes-
                      sigpic 79 gs550 80 gs550 250 rebel

Comment

Originally posted by Markrkolb View Post
                        Vic, cudos for putting together a unique scooter. I am guessing that you are younger than many on the site and your tastes are too hip for the room. To be honest i inwardly cringed when i saw the pic of your ride- but i also cringed when my son bought a KTM with a mono shock. I love looking at all the unique pics and i am thankful that we don’t all want the same thing- how boring would that be? Best wishes-
                        Thanks man. I appreciate your open-mindedness. Just be thankful the kid enjoys something his father does

Comment

Oh, around here it's the other way around. Choppers tend to be driven by mid-life crises, wannabe-tough-guys and "ooga-boogas" that think loud pipes are impressing anyone. You don't see any young guys on those.
                          Interesting how hip is defined differently in various locations.

I think I need to clarify that I don't want to take away from your project just because it's a bobber – different strokes for different folks. It's not for me, it's for you, and it seems to be reasonably executed.

Just know that most here do frown upon doing non-reversible mods to GS's in a good state (some models of them are collectible). And people that run bikes without (reasonable) muffling are often ignored, should it become evident that they don't care about their fellow man.

Slightly related side story: Around here, people modifying their exhausts and not only annoying people wanting to enjoy the nice sunny days, but also _purposefully_ waking whole city blocks during the night became such a nuisance, that police task forces have been instituted, after countless complaints. Hundreds of vehicles got impounded.

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                            Oh, around here it's the other way around. Choppers tend to be driven by mid-life crises, wannabe-tough-guys and "ooga-boogas" that think loud pipes are impressing anyone. You don't see any young guys on those.
                            Interesting how hip is defined differently in various locations.

I think I need to clarify that I don't want to take away from your project just because it's a bobber – different strokes for different folks. It's not for me, it's for you, and it seems to be reasonably executed.

Just know that most here do frown upon doing non-reversible mods to GS's in a good state (some models of them are collectible). And people that run bikes without (reasonable) muffling are often ignored, should it become evident that they don't care about their fellow man.

Slightly related side story: Around here, people modifying their exhausts and not only annoying people wanting to enjoy the nice sunny days, but also _purposefully_ waking whole city blocks during the night became such a nuisance, that police task forces have been instituted, after countless complaints. Hundreds of vehicles got impounded.
                            Like I said before, i didnt really know it was collectable until it was too late. I've never really looked into classic bikes or anything. Had i known i would have reached out to someone for a trade or even a good price that would have allowed me to purchase something a little more my style. I'm all for preservation of history. However I did reconcile my decision to chop it up by discovering a boneyard near where I live with a couple frames and stick exhausts I plan to pick up when I'm in a better position financially. Everything I've stripped from the bike is neatly stored away. I NEVER throw things away. That being said, if ever I want to restore it to it's original condition I have the resources available. It's not a total loss. As for the noise, I agree 100 percent, I hate the straight pipes. That was my dads idea after several stiff drinks. And this was intended to be a son and pop bonding project so I didnt object. Today I made my own baffles as a temporary fix until i can come up with a more permanent solution. Thanks again for all the insight.

Comment

Hey, that's what life is for, to learn. You seem to be a cool guy from what you've wrote, please don't take the/my criticism too negatively. Don't consider your project a loss; first, L models we like to jest about anyway, and second it's a stepping stone (so to speak) to whatever your dream bike shall be. But one has to start somewhere. If that makes any sense?

Comment

Working...
                              X