Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No charging while running, flickering lights and that dang popping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
    Guess I should ask this, because of m regulator being new, aswell as mystator, and both being good brands, can the stator rotor cause any of this mishap?. . . . . . .
    Can ANYthing of the charging system cause engine running problem: Not really (was going to mention something of this earlier...)
    Think of it this way: You dont really need a stator-R/R-ChargingSystem for the engine to run. You can disconnect the charging system and engine will start and run, . . . . and run . . . . until battery voltage is too low. Well, as battery voltage goes low the ignition get a bit weak, but basically the entire bike/engine will run as long as battery still has good charge.

Or you mean you light flickering problem.....
    I havent got a good picture of what manner your lights are flickering. OR if this happens all the time, or only at high rpms, or what. Erratic or pulsating.
    Might be good to measure battery voltage (or at main fuse) while this is happening to see if voltage is fluctuating.
    Last edited by Redman; 05-30-2021, 08:22 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Ian, have you ever ran the engine without the battery being connected? As in start it and disconnect the battery to test something? Please DON'T DO THAT! Ask me how I know...

Ok, since you asked, we used to think that was a good way to see if an alternator was bad on a car, maybe it is maybe not. Just ignorant mechanics. Anyway, I did that a few years ago with my 850 to see if the stator put out enough juice to keep things moving. It didn't take but a second for a power surge shoot through the system. The headlight got really bright and blew out, and I shut it down.

End result, reg/rec bad, battery fried from being over charged, stator badly wounded but not dead yet. Changed to SH775, replaced headlight bulb and eventually new stator.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Okay so the lights only flicker when it's at idle speed and tries to lower, when the pop happens its only at idle speed or a bit above, when it pops the bikes rpm drops about 100 rpm but goes back up right after.

I know the charging system shouldn't be doing thisnhutnseeing that I keep having to mess with the system and this problem keeps occurring with the inconsistent popping i dont know where to really look. The whokenignition system is new and working properly.

I'm gonna be messing with the carbs a bit seeing that the bigger size pilots were a bust, once i have those in and at appropriate amount it turns I'll be testing things.

I know not to hook the bike up to anything else! No worries on that one I did it once very long ago and that's why the stator and refukatornever got replaced.
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Just changed spark plugs knowing they were fuel fouled to some cleaner one, 4 was wet but I made sure it sparked and sure enough it does. Have the carbs off about to drain them, make sure everything looks clean and passes through correctly and tr hen put stock pilots on and place back on. Make sure it idles and responds how it did last week and then onto messing with stator.
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

Was checking tightness of intake boot bolts and the bolts for where you put your sync tool were definently loose, I dont know about hand tighten but they definently needed to be done. Hopefully that's my hanging idle problem. I think it makes some sense, it wouldn't always do it(washer being in right spot stopping it) and when checking for leaks I couldn't get any real indication(washer blocking passage). Gonna get the stock pilots in and run it.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

Unfortunately not the problem, gonna be testing stator and for vacuum leaks.

Gonna switch ground finally and hope that also helps, I cant see what else could be the issue if everything is right.

Maybe a bad coil plug or something like that because i have the same ones since before new coilpacks. They past the resistance test though but I dont know if theres anything else that they could fail.
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
              X