Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No charging while running, flickering lights and that dang popping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No charging while running, flickering lights and that dang popping.

Had bike running smooth last week with an acception of a bit of idle climbing, but I really was happy with how it was compared to what it was before on the low end. I was at 3 and a half turns out on the stock pilots and I was told at that point I should be uosizing the pilots. Had to wait a week for some pilot plugs but once I got those I put them in and changed the pilots to 45.

Started at one turn out, slowly went up to around 3 turns at this point. Still had the bike hanging its idle, sometimes itd go down to a close to normal pace, sometimes it wouldnt at all, didnt seem to matter the turns out I did.

I was having my neutral light(and the rest) flickering around a little bit while I was doing this but my idle wasnt getting affected, after testing plenty of turns, so bike off and back on multiple times, I started to get flickering really bad and it would go lower than idle and want to shut off, pulled out the multimeter and the batteries voltage wouldnt change when the bike was being revved.

I have a Rick's stator, new sh775, new dyna coils and ignition, the coil relay mod, and the carbs are clean.

I'm going to move the regulator ground to the negative battery terminal and put the negative battery ground to a new spot to see if it stops messing around but I'm just getting tired of it, last week was great, this week its acting like it's on its last limbs again.

Compression is good, I'm gonna be checking coil voltage again, carbs are good. This darn thing is not good.

Itd be awesome if somebody around me could come and help!
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Voltage at coils is perfectly fine.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Questions I need to ask to possibly help, how do I test stator, and how do i test regulator. Can i test them without the bike running or does it have to be on?

Anything i should check other than these?
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

Coukd it be the actual ignition you put your key in? It works properly and clicks solid but I m just trying to see what I can check. Theres one last plug I havent cleaned and I'm gonna check it out but I dont think it should be my reasoning.
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Also, what could fry a battery multiple times, I've taken my batteries to oriellys a few times and sometimes It wont accept a Charge. I have had MULTIPLE batteries of the same brand and model, and its surely applicable for the bike, but I'm starting to think they're getting messed up and its causing this
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
            . . . . . ., how do I test stator, . . . . . . .
            Disconnect from R/R.
            Engine at 4500 rpm, measure AC Volts (not DC) across pair of stator leads, three pair. Should be about 70VAC each.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              Disconnect from R/R.
              Engine at 4500 rpm, measure AC Volts (not DC) across pair of stator leads, three pair. Should be about 70VAC each.
              So stator completely disconnected from anything?
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

So stator completely disconnected from anything?
                Yes.

THree leads hanging out in space.
                Measure AC volts between any two, and other pair, then other pair. Three readings.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  Yes.

THree leads hanging out in space.
                  Measure AC volts between any two, and other pair, then other pair. Three readings.
                  Olay forsure will be doing as soon as bike is back up
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

Checked spark plugs, fuel fouled, so I will be going back to stock plugs.... guess I'll be looking for vacuum leaks again. Hopefully if runs well when the stock pilots are back in place
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

On mine, the stator passed that test called the leg to leg test. But you also need to test each leg to ground. That's where mine failed miserably.

The leg to ground test should be a very low # such as 0, but mine tested 31 volts then 50 volts and at that point I did not bother to test the 3rd leg

It was already showing me it was bad and needed to be replaced.

My new stator arrived today.
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

This stator is very new, aswell as the regulator. I'll see if. i can get the stator swapped if its failing but it shouldn't be already.
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

I found some evidence that might be incriminating. Was doing resistance testing and everything was passing mainly. Battery is disconnected through all of this.

I put one probe on the negative connection that goes to battery, and the other probe on the negative coil connection and I get a reading of 8.42k ohms.

If I check the positive connection for the battery and positive coil wire my resistance is 0
                          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                          1982 XS650

Comment

Guess I should ask this, because of m regulator being new, aswell as mystator, and both being good brands, can the stator rotor cause any of this mishap?

It's one thing I never thought of.

I will still be testing my stator out asap but it's just a thought.
                            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                            1982 XS650

Comment

I put one probe on the negative connection that goes to battery, and the other probe on the negative coil connection and I get a reading of 8.42k ohms.

. . . . . .
                              Good troubleshooting thinking.... BUT, the coil doesn't have a "negative connection". THe coil has a positive connection and a connection to the points/ignitor, so your high ohm reading does not indicate a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X