Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Model Identification GS650 G/GT/GX????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, Now what the hell is the GS650GT listed in this sites model information?????
    Last edited by rphillips; 06-02-2021, 09:23 AM.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I have this sneaking suspicion that a straight G in the parts diagrams is the Katana variant. That coincides with some wiki sites I have seen on the GS history. They refer to the 81 G as a Katana. The parts diagrams I looked at follow that with the tank and side panels being the katana style and and a oiler cooler.

I suspect the GT model was the standard non katana G that we refer too. That is the only thing that makes any sense. At least that is what I am going with otherwise my OCD wont let me move any further.

I can’t believe this is the first time this has come up. Perhaps I am just too anal.
      1980 Honda CB750C fully restored
      1981 Suzuki GS650G restoration in progress
      1982 Kawasaki KZ750 fully restored
      1984 Yamaha XS650 “Bella” fully restored (Sold)
      2009 Kawasaki KLR (Sold)
      2010 Suzuki DL650 VStrom (Daily rider)
      2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio (Sold)

Comment

I have the same model and year as the OP. Yes, it's a GS650G ( T), T indicating the 1981 model. Compact shaft drive, plain bearing crank with engine oil providing the primary lube, rather that separate gear oil. I do believe that the European and possibly Canada sold models of the same bike were named GS650GT as the entire model name regardless of year. The first "Katana" and only shaft drive one was the same drivetrain, with the Katana body work, seat, different bars, addition of oil cooler and different oil pan with cooler ports. None were sold in the US although a few found their way here. Without looking it up, I believe that Katana model was designated the GS650G-M.

That side cover access airbox of the shaft 650's can be lots of fun when attempting to get the hold down clips back on. At the moment I can't recall if it's the top or bottom clip that's very hard to access. The '81 model only has a few one year quirks of it's own. No fuel guage, different choke knob location and earlier '81's take a different cam cover gasket. Parts fiches show the serial no. break for that.

It's been my experience that US Suzuki parts listings do not show the GS650 Katana model at all. UK Suzuki listings do. Of course there's also the chain drive GS650E model which was sold in the US.

*After seeing Rich's post I see that I posted incorrectly above about T indicating '81. X-Z-D for the 3 years of GS650's. The "T" was part of the model designation, not used in the US.
        Last edited by hank2; 06-02-2021, 01:12 AM. Reason: correct info
        1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

These are the Suzuki year designator letters for ‘77-‘85

77 - B
          78 - C
          79 - N
          80 - T
          81 - X
          82 - Z
          83 - D
          84 - E
          85 - F

source
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Spot on with my findings also. The GT is just to differentiate it from the G Katana. Think I figured out the parts. I did see the valve cover difference although the frame number division is a little off. Mine still has the 16 bolt pattern. At first I though it potentially had an engine swap until I looked up the 82 and the part diagrams still have two different types of gaskets although in 82 they say X and Z variations instead of by serial number. Guessing they figured out that their serial numbers were off a bit.

as for the air box, it is the bottom clip that is a bit of a challenge. Good to know my swearing at it was not without cause.
            1980 Honda CB750C fully restored
            1981 Suzuki GS650G restoration in progress
            1982 Kawasaki KZ750 fully restored
            1984 Yamaha XS650 “Bella” fully restored (Sold)
            2009 Kawasaki KLR (Sold)
            2010 Suzuki DL650 VStrom (Daily rider)
            2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio (Sold)

Comment

didn't read all this closely, but the first pages of the parts fiche purport to explain which is which using frame numbers. The frame number is supposed to be on the headstock right side, which, naturally, puts it under the cheesy glued on and so-precious VIN tag...
              GTZ=500001~
              GTX=501827~

the parts fiche says it applies to certain "E" varieties. These are country codes. The assumption being, that the book applies exactly to bikes exported to those countries, OR you will see a note per the country, as in the list of parts, you might see "E4" to the right, which tells you that part is specifically for that country...I suppose as the bikes went down the line, they were tagged and sorted for export with it. It's no guarantee though.

Canada's code is E28.

It's esoteric, but write it down. It's hard to find if it ever makes you itch for it again. You will note that the parts fiche first page may not include "E28". Hopefully, E28 will be noted as above in the part list that follows each diagram, where there is a difference. Or, there is no difference.
              Last edited by Gorminrider; 06-02-2021, 09:37 AM.

Comment

From all I've seen the Katanas were always designated by an "S" or an "M", thus the GS650 "GM " (shaft dr.) & the GS650 "M" (chain). the only time I've ever seen the "T" it meant an "80" model.... Very interesting.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

more: The year of manufacture is supposedly accurate in the VIN. 10th position from the beginning:C=1982
                  VIN
                  JS1GP71GOC~
                  (B would be 1981)

then there is other miscellany I found somewhere that gets a little muddled because noone here really knows: some 650GTs have chrome turn signals. (My GTZ) On black bikes, some have gold pinstriping (My GTZ)while others have red.Some have grey paint on the aluminum rims (My GTZ), some have a real black.
                  Even harder to pin down: Some may even have running lights in the front signals. Some may even have longer stalks at the front versus shorter ones. The territory gets muddled with 650Gs generally.

Comment

My 82 GS650E Canadian Model
                    , thumbnail_image1 - Copy rotate.jpg
                    82 GS650E (Canadian), 83 XS650SK (Canadian), Main machines Running
                    Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
                    Introduction and ongoing thread for myGS650Ez
                    Albums

Comment

List of Vin No's for 80/81/82/83

page3.jpg
                      Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
                      Albums

Comment

9th and 11th digit determined at the time of manufactur...........maybe these 2 digits are the place, and difference in models. Could you guys with different models post your Vin no's to see the difference in those 2 digits

page4.jpg
                        Last edited by 650Skull; 06-02-2021, 08:40 PM.
                        Albums

Comment

Taken from a German Suzuki GS site and translated

Extract from the site translated

Completely unnoticed in Germany, Suzuki introduced a new, interesting machine in 1981, the Tourer GS 650 GT, which was originally also sold in other countries under the type designation GS 650 G - so do not confuse it with the Katana of the same name. With its rather conservative appearance, the GT was a really fast device with the power it offered, which mainly went across the pond to American customers who were more into cruising on highways.

Black with chrome indicators

The color scheme was also corresponding. They were available in classic black, a warm red metallic and a light blue metallic. But the GT was not completely withheld from fans in the old world, because it went to some European countries and was the inspiration for the GS 650 G Katana. At first glance, the engine appeared to be derived from the GS 550, but it was an independent development for the upper middle class. It had a displacement of almost 700 cc and was designed entirely for two valves.
                          Albums

Comment

Originally posted by 650Skull View Post
                            9th and 11th digit determined at the time of manufactur...........maybe these 2 digits are the place, and difference in models. Could you guys with different models post your Vin no's to see the difference in those 2 digits

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62911[/ATTACH]
                            I can't see those very well but JS1GP71GOCZ104"xxx" Registered as an '82. Black,gold pinstripe had chrome signals.
                            Last edited by Gorminrider; 06-05-2021, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                              I can't see those very well but JS1GP71GOCZ104"xxx" Registered as an '82. Black,gold pinstripe had chrome signals.
                              need to use a computer or laptop. Right click on pic and open open new tab.....easy to read or download.............don't use a hosting site so cant post large pics
                              Albums

Comment

Old thread here. Reading canuck1969's recent postings on completion of his excellent '81 650G (in the carb/fuel/exhaust tech section) had me re-reading this thread as well. The VIN on my '81 GS650G(X) is:

JS1GP71G2B2101xxx

Identical in year, color and striping to canuck1969's bike.

1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Working...
                                X