Bike Shuts off when turn signal used.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike Shuts off when turn signal used.

Initially, my turn signals stopped flashing but the bike ran fine. When the switch was engaged nothing would happen or they would turn on and stay illuminated (not flashing). I checked voltage to the relay switch which was adequate, so I ordered an OEM relay switch to replace it. After replacing it, the bike now shuts off(sometimes, not all the time), when I turn the signal switch.
    81' GS850L

Not sure about the 850L's wiring (you know that dreaded canceling unit and whatnot).

There's so much that could be wrong...what have you done so far, other than replacing the switch? How did you come to the conclusion that the switch is the culprit?
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGS850L View Post
      Initially, my turn signals stopped flashing but the bike ran fine. When the switch was engaged nothing would happen or they would turn on and stay illuminated (not flashing). I checked voltage to the relay switch which was adequate, so I ordered an OEM relay switch to replace it. After replacing it, the bike now shuts off(sometimes, not all the time), when I turn the signal switch.
      Check you haven't pinched a wire, Is it left, or right or both indication that causes the problem?
      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGS850L View Post
        Initially, my turn signals stopped flashing but the bike ran fine. When the switch was engaged nothing would happen or they would turn on and stay illuminated (not flashing). . . . . . . .
        Often that is the first clue to low system voltage due to charging system problem and battery voltage going low. Next clue is slow starting next time.
        Next clue is engine dieing at some point, maybe when added another elctrical load - - hey, that is what you said happend.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Charge battery with a 1 (or 3/4, or 1.50 amp, not 6 or 12amp) charger.

THen take off charger for half hour or so.
          Measure battery voltage with key off, then key on (headlight on), engine at idle, and engine at mid RPM (like 4500-5000).
          Report here.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
          X