Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the GS Scene

Hello,
    New to the forum. Just recently came across and purchased a '79 GS1000. Really like it and have been researching and learning about it. Have been going thru it and doing all the deferred maintenance as I like to call it. Purchased from the 2nd owner who had it since 1981. It is the base model with the spoke rims which I think gives it a timeless quality, especially with it's solid black paint sans graphics. It has a few good performance upgrades from back in the day like Lockhart oil cooler, Dynatek ignition, Accel coils, K&N pods, a fork brace, superbike bars and the crown jewel which is a very early Yoshimura race exhaust system. All but one of the valves were too tight to read but I have them sorted now. The carbs needed a lot of fiddling to get dialed in but they were already jetted properly for the set up with genuine Mikuni jets. Really enjoy riding it and plan to preserve it more or less as is other than converting to same year/model dual disc brakes. I have a '74 CB750 and an '89 GSX-R1100 and the '79 GS1000 is such a perfect blend of both of those they might end up for sale or put into long term storage! Thanks for having me!

188947532_10217660170848437_6832981747525226433_n.jpg
    Last edited by motoroboto; 06-01-2021, 03:35 PM.

Ooooh, you really got a treat there! Welcome to the forum!
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Your lucky day -- and I like your approach to keeping it "AS IS".
      sigpic
      '77 GS550B
      '78 GS550C

Comment

I agree with your prediction, all hail the Suzuki air cooled GS! I have a 73 CB750 and 79GS1000EN (and an '82 GS1100EZ) - I am in progress too on the '79, and expect it will be my most ridden.
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
          Ooooh, you really got a treat there! Welcome to the forum!
          Thanks! Been enjoying it!

Comment

Originally posted by xkaes View Post
            Your lucky day -- and I like your approach to keeping it "AS IS".
            Ha! Definitely! Yeah it's only a time capsule once and it was done right back then as well.

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
              I agree with your prediction, all hail the Suzuki air cooled GS! I have a 73 CB750 and 79GS1000EN (and an '82 GS1100EZ) - I am in progress too on the '79, and expect it will be my most ridden.
              Haha! You have good tastes in bikes! Yeah it seems to do everything well. It has a pull from 5k on up almost like you turn the nitrous on. It's already quick and then around 5k it starts pulling your arms out! My '89 GSX-R1100 is the same. Already extralegal capabilities from idle to 7k and then after 7k it's like warp drive and holy frick! I think it must be a Suzuki literbike thing where it seems to just become twice as fast as you pass the middle of the tach.
              Last edited by motoroboto; 06-01-2021, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the madhouse.... I had a Yoshi pipe once too. They make a nice sound. Got fed up taking it on and off for oil change and missed the centerstand though!
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  Welcome to the madhouse.... I had a Yoshi pipe once too. They make a nice sound. Got fed up taking it on and off for oil change and missed the centerstand though!
                  Thanks! Yes I am learning about the pros and cons currently! I actually took the rear section off and put the centerstand on to do some chain maintenance. It's an ok compromise. Was hoping to be able to leave it on but alas, as you mentioned, it was for naught!

Comment

Them old bikes aren't the best at anything but pretty dang good at everything, congrats & welcome. For me , by far, Yosh is the best sounding out there, but because of the center stand deal my Yosh lays in the garage floor & a V&H is on my bike.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                      Them old bikes aren't the best at anything but pretty dang good at everything, congrats & welcome. For me , by far, Yosh is the best sounding out there, but because of the center stand deal my Yosh lays in the garage floor & a V&H is on my bike.
                      Thanks! A jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one! The only specialized things I want or need nowadays are tools! I definitely see the pros and cons of the Yosh but it's currently cheaper than another exhaust.

Comment

Working...
                      X