No announcement yet.

Returning to the forum =D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's no road around the northwest corner of the island. There are trails from the west side, but I don't believe they connect to the North Shore. Still, one can ride around 75% of the perimeter, then cut up the middle which is still a nice ride.

And there are PLENTY of local Harley owners! And lots of bikes and riders in general. I really enjoyed riding with you guys at the rally I went to, but otherwise I prefer to ride alone.

Comment

Welcome back Joe!

I remember your pic posted in post #2 but I don't remember chiming in and greeting you.

Your location is Honolulu and that sparked my interest because we lived there from 1999-2003...stationed at Hickam. I didn't ride a motorcycle until 2011 so my experiences were in our 2003 Honda Pilot. Have you ridden H3 on a motorcycle? That hwy is on sacred ground (from what was said in various conversations with military members) and is extremely high to the access point in the mountain. After you go through the tunnel, you'll see a stairway that was called "stairway to heaven". Man-made out of wood I believe...we never went to it but could see it once you exit the tunnel and see beautiful K-Bay!

Hope you're enjoying Oahu...I loved it there!

Welcome back and thanks for posting your return.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

My Grandsons girlfriends sister Anna. She was a jarhead stationed there for a few years. Got out....and stayed in HI

Anna Albrecht says she has been running since she competed in track and field in high school. But that is nothing compared to what she did over the weekend of Saturday, Feb. 27, when she attempted …
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thanks for that story bonanzadave!

Our family traveled to the Big Island and Molaka'i during our 4yr stay...wife and I went to Kauai for one of our wedding anniversaries and did the Napali Coast tour of the cliffs...spectacular!

I'll never forget the captain of the boat said, "the waters are unusually calm, would anyone like to jump in the water?" I thought it was a great idea and dove in like it was a swimming pool. As I opened my eyes to look for the bottom of the pool, all I saw was blue turning into darkness...suddenly I realized, "I don't know what is down there" and I brought myself to the top and quickly got back in the boat.

Lots of great memories the military provided for my family.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
            There's no road around the northwest corner of the island. There are trails from the west side, but I don't believe they connect to the North Shore. Still, one can ride around 75% of the perimeter, then cut up the middle which is still a nice ride.

And there are PLENTY of local Harley owners! And lots of bikes and riders in general. I really enjoyed riding with you guys at the rally I went to, but otherwise I prefer to ride alone.
            Thanks for that update, Joe.

I have wondered about the trail for a long time, as the opportunity for someone to fall off was very high and not just due to carelessness, but due to visibility.

There was one point when we were travelling upwards and I could no longer see any part of the road, and only saw empty space ahead.

I stopped the car and tried to lean out and see what to do. There was no room to get out and walk as we were at least a hundred feet above the ocean and on the left the rock wall was less than a foot from driver side door and the other side roughly the same distance from the edge.
            As we literally inched ahead the road flattened a bit and I could see it on the opposite side of a U-shaped bay a few hundred yards away, but I still could not see where I was going.

Still just literally inching ahead I began to see the roadway made a sharp left turn and as the car turned the path/trail became visible again.
            That was about 3/4 of the away along, and after we rounded the bay it began to descend.

BTW the trail entrance/beginning was not readily visible or accessible at either end. To get to it I had to drive across sand and around rocks to get there and did so when I saw a small open car coming from that direction. The other driver said only that he came from the other side and the road was narrow. At the other end we came down on sand and again went around rocks to reach the real road.

That little side trip was quite an adventure, and highly memorable.
            "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
            Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
              Welcome back Joe!
              Have you ridden H3 on a motorcycle? That hwy is on sacred ground (from what was said in various conversations with military members) and is extremely high to the access point in the mountain. After you go through the tunnel, you'll see a stairway that was called "stairway to heaven". Man-made out of wood I believe...we never went to it but could see it once you exit the tunnel and see beautiful K-Bay!
              I still haven't done H3 yet, but I just fixed my leaking output shaft seal and had the rear tire repaired, so had my first ride yesterday on the Street Triple 675. What an awesome little bike!! I went along the coast from Waikiki to Kailua, then took the Pali through the mountains (which has recently been restored and repaved.) There were some nice long turns and elevation changes, through a tunnel, and through mountains with that amazing, fresh mountain air.

Maybe this weekend I'll ride H3 across and then up the windward coast.

Comment

Working...
              X