No announcement yet.

1983 gs750es shuts off when in fear, off the center stand or side stand is up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 gs750es shuts off when in fear, off the center stand or side stand is up

This is the very first time I've seen or encountered this. My bike just shuts off when either I put it in gear, put the side stand up, off the center stand yor just simply stand the bike up, I need to put the bike tilted to the left for it to start or put it on the enter stand. But when the bike is on the center stand everything works no problem... Am I missing a cut off switch somewhere? The only thing I replace on the bike is the carbs
    1983 GS750ES

Those machines had side stand switches or at least some of them had.
    Have you a side stand indicator light and what is it doing.
    At a guess the switch is not working properly for some reason.
    Either it's making marginal contact, most likely, or there is a wiring issue.
    The cutting out in gear could be that the jerk going into first is enough to tip the switch.
    Last edited by Brendan W; 06-02-2021, 04:20 AM.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
      Those machines had side stand switches or at least some of them had.
      Have you a side stand indicator light and what is it doing.
      At a guess the switch is not working properly for some reason.
      Either it's making marginal contact, most likely, or there is a wiring issue.
      The cutting out in gear could be that the jerk going into first is enough to tip the switch.
      That's the weird part I had the side stand switch disabled for years and this the the very first time this has ever happend, also as far as I know the side stand switch doesn't really kill the engine but just to indicate you have the side stand down, and that also does not explain why when I stand the bike up it also cuts out and/or the center stand, unless my bike has that feature and I just don't know about it
      1983 GS750ES

Comment

Have you looked through your wiring to see if anything has become damaged in any way?
        sigpic
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          Have you looked through your wiring to see if anything has become damaged in any way?
          I did no damage at all, no loose connections. I maybe looking at another electrical gremlin here
          1983 GS750ES

Comment

Hi sounds like a strange problem. I think you might have a short somewhere. The circuit that supplies the coils only has a few things that have to be made. Ignition switch, kill switch ect. If it was my bike I would remove the tank and put a volt meter on the coil +. Turn ignition switch on and see what actions cause the power to drop off. A common area of wire damage is where the wiring harness bends from frame backbone to steering stem also shorts inside the instrument panel can cause all kinds of headaches. Let us know what you find.
            Last edited by chris; 06-02-2021, 03:04 PM.
            1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Originally posted by Eidollan View Post
              This is the very first time I've seen or encountered this. My bike just shuts off when either I put it in gear, put the side stand up, off the center stand yor just simply stand the bike up, I need to put the bike tilted to the left for it to start or put it on the enter stand. But when the bike is on the center stand everything works no problem... Am I missing a cut off switch somewhere? The only thing I replace on the bike is the carbs

The side stand switch normally cuts off electricity to the coils when down and the starter solenoid energizer wire if the bike is in gear. You should be able to start it normally if the bike is in neutral and the stand is either up or down.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Recheck your side stand bypass. Maybe things worked loose.

Mad
                83 GS750E
                2006 ZX14
                2004 KTM 450 EXC
                2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                  Hi sounds like a strange problem. I think you might have a short somewhere. The circuit that supplies the coils only has a few things that have to be made. Ignition switch, kill switch ect. If it was my bike I would remove the tank and put a volt meter on the coil +. Turn ignition switch on and see what actions cause the power to drop off. A common area of wire damage is where the wiring harness bends from frame backbone to steering stem also shorts inside the instrument panel can cause all kinds of headaches. Let us know what you find.
                  Will try that
                  1983 GS750ES

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                    The side stand switch normally cuts off electricity to the coils when down and the starter solenoid energizer wire if the bike is in gear. You should be able to start it normally if the bike is in neutral and the stand is either up or down.
                    Will check that also
                    1983 GS750ES

Comment

The ignition switch could be having problems,that's the first place I would look;you can open-up and remove the headlight,check out the wiring and see if there are any loose plugs,then remove the ignition switch and see if the little black plastic cover on the back of it can be easily popped-off and see if the switch looks ok inside or if the inner mechanisms/contacts are still intact.The wiring for the ignition switch can get pulled back and forth very many times over the years as you roll the bike around,turning the bike,etc. that it can sometimes pull too hard on the switch,tangle the switch harness causing things like intermittent power problems.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Found the issue it was the ignitor unit plug, it's loose, even just the slightest touch the bike dies, I replace the plug and the bike runs perfectly again
                        1983 GS750ES

Comment

Doesn't the 750ES just have a light? It works in reverse from what you'd expect. I would expect a short somewhere, either there or the oil pressure lamp, or in the gear indicator wiring....
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                          X