Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telemarketers

Default Telemarketers

Telemarketers, I just cringe when they call it doesn't bring out the good in me. The FCC started pushing phone companies last spring to shut down unsolicited calls. In about one month we are going to hit a deadline where phone companies will have to start paying extreme fines to the feds unless certain criteria is met. Bottom line is the phone companies do make a lot of money from selling services to telemarketers. I think hitting them in the wallet is the best approach to ending this annoying practice. I saw a funny video irritating telemarketers.

1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Telemarketers are bad enough, but what bothers me are all the SCAM calls from India. They spoof local numbers, so it will be hard to legislate against them.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

The telemarketers spoof numbers too. Marriot of all companies spam me all the time.

My phone number must be widely distributed amongst the spam communities but fortunately it slowed to a trickle during the pandemic. Now it back to full speed again, sadly. I don't bother picking up the call unless it's a number I recognize. Hope things improve soon...

Jim Florentine has a number of these movies terrorizing telemarketeers

argonsagas is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Who Dat? View Post
    Telemarketers are bad enough, but what bothers me are all the SCAM calls from India. They spoof local numbers, so it will be hard to legislate against them.
    Very true. We get those calls frequently and I have no idea what telephone companies may be able to do about it as the calls are often (perhaps always) routed though computers

My wife annoys them by telling them their accent is so obvious that they should give up, and should be ashamed for trying to scam people.
    I have a variety of responses, depending on the mood of the moment.
    Yesterday I used an Indian accent when politely telling the caller I was glad to hear from him.
    He hung pup immediately.
    "The only thing worse than ignorance is arrogance." AE

I had uhual tell me my social security number had been stolen before, I wonder when they started doing more than give people moving vehicles.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XV750

Got a twin

These people like to talk like old friends, so they will follow your lead if you mention a hobby like motorcycles.
    If they can gain your trust or a casual way of talking, they can get you to do what they want more easily right ?

Only last week i talked to one of them for more than an hour about motorcycles, culture, etc.
    That's one hour they cannot mess with more trusting victims.

Funny thing is, these conversations can be interesting and entertaining from time to time.

In my experience, they very rarely call it a social security account. They call it 'your social account.'

A while back I was getting a call almost every day about a suspected fraudulent transaction on 'my account' - an Apple iPhone 11 for over a thousand dollars. So I really shocked one of those callers by saying, "Yes, I ordered that, it's not fraudulent, send it through."

That really freaks them out.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Recently I switched to a new carrier, hadn't gotten a spam or scam call in almost a year. On this new phone/carrier it's happening daily, my thinking is that if one carrier can stop it the new one should be able too.

robertbarr is offline Forum Sage Past Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

According to Steve Lehto (Lehto's Law, Youtube lawyer channel...), many telemarketers get your number from the Do Not Call list -- such irony. The law is never enforced, and the List provides the numbers of actual people who are likely to answer the phone.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!