82 GS1100E Oil gauge jumps with RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100E Oil gauge jumps with RPM

Hi, I hope this is the right place for this question. The oil gauge on my bike is hitting 320 and flickering when I'm at around 5k rpm. If I pull the clutch it drops down to around 210 until I release then it jumps back up. This only happens after the bike is warmed up. I replaced the temp sensor and same issue. Air temp is 60. From 4k to 5k the gauge moves from 210 to 320 in direct correlation with rpm. I am assuming it is an electrical issue, but wanted to make sure there is not something else I might be missing.

It sounds like you're running hot - very hot. I installed an oil cooler and it made a huge difference.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by CastNoShadow View Post
      Hi, I hope this is the right place for this question. The oil gauge on my bike is hitting 320 and flickering when I'm at around 5k rpm. If I pull the clutch it drops down to around 210 until I release then it jumps back up. This only happens after the bike is warmed up. I replaced the temp sensor and same issue. Air temp is 60. From 4k to 5k the gauge moves from 210 to 320 in direct correlation with rpm. I am assuming it is an electrical issue, but wanted to make sure there is not something else I might be missing.
      If the temp rises with rpm, so 110 degrees within seconds, the issue likely is electrical.
      I had a similar issue with the water temp gauge on a GT750 Waterbuffalo, that turned out to be a bad ground on the meter itself.

Have you checked the voltage on the battery with running engine ?
      There are great tests on this site, like on the "stator pages" but if you measure more than 14,7 volt on the battery ever .... it's an issue.

edit ... i see this is your first post here, so WELCOME.
      Last edited by Rijko; 06-02-2021, 01:14 PM.
      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
      Bikecliff's website
      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

... i see this is your first post here, so WELCOME.[/QUOTE]
        Thank you!
        Yes, the needle moves just as fast as the rpm gauge. I have not tested the voltage above high idle so I will wire up a voltage gauge this weekend to test under riding conditions.

I have thought about an oil cooler, but wasn't sure if it would be a good idea up here in MN where I ride until it snows.

Comment

I have not tested the voltage above high idle so I will wire up a voltage gauge this weekend to test under riding conditions.
          Just to be sure, you do not need to drive the bike, just put a voltmeter on the battery and rev the bike to 5K.
          I like to warm up the bike before i rev it that high.

I have thought about an oil cooler, but wasn't sure if it would be a good idea up here in MN where I ride until it snows.
          Oil cooler is usually not needed except for in extreme conditions. (race, desert, etc)
          But if you do want one (because of the cool factor ?) use a thermostat and you'll be fine.
          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Hi, if you don't see any damage to your oil temp sending wire , it would be safe to assume your gauge is faulty. I think the manual says how to test the gauge.
            1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
              Hi, if you don't see any damage to your oil temp sending wire , it would be safe to assume your gauge is faulty. I think the manual says how to test the gauge.
              Thank you! I went back through the manual and finally did find the test procedure. Tried to ground the lead wire, and no gauge deflection at all, but several indicator lights come on. It definitely is an electrical issue. Now to track that down, but at least I don't have to worry about blowing my motor.
              Thank you everybody for the help.

Comment

Working...
              X