Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reasons my bike would go to twin mode

Default Reasons my bike would go to twin mode

Disconnected charging system, I dont have that arcing anymore going on but my bike is basically on twin mode right now.

Cylinder 1 and 3 will steam no problem but 2 and 4 are not.

This would mean it most likely wouldnt be coilpacks but either the positive or negative side of things is not working correctly.

Went ahead and turned the bars side to side but nothing changed, but I guess it wouodnt seeing that I'm on twin mode and not running on all 4.

Other than a dyna ignition failing what could it be? Everything is connected securely.

Did the running stator test I get readings of about 85acv. Saw 90 but I'm guessing you want high readings not low

Was revving it to five and one cylinder (4) turned on but 2 didnt really. Gonna just prime it more and see if that makes a difference but I don't think it will.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ

Want a "twin" for my bike

Well heres something odd, I said 2 didnt wanna turn on but 4 did, now it's the opposite. 4 wont steam at all. 4 is the cylinder with a bit lower compression but not enough to mess anything up. Heres a video of the bike running today just 10 minutes ago.

I'm gonna swap 1 and 4s leads and see if anything changes.

https://youtu.be/78NGOnYQefo
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ

What's the battery voltage at during this? If battery voltage is adequate this sounds like a fuel or mechanical issue. You mention lower compression, how much lower is lower? More than 10%?

Yeah its mechanical forsure. Swapped the plug caps and nothing changed, swapped the spark plug and nothing changed.

Cylinder 1-3 have 150psi, cylinder 4 is 140psi.

Where should I start?

Fuel does get to the cylinder the spark did have some wetness to it.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ

Quote Originally Posted by timebombprod View Post
    Where should I start?

If cylinder #4 had good spark like the rest of the cylinders, the wetness would have me starting with the carbs. The wetness can be from too much fuel. Even with good spark, having too much fuel will cause no/poor ignition that will leave the plugs wet with fuel.

earlfor is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Yeah its mechanical forsure. Swapped the plug caps and nothing changed, swapped the spark plug and nothing changed.

Cylinder 1-3 have 150psi, cylinder 4 is 140psi.

Where should I start?

Viewed from sitting on the bike, the left coil plug wires are connected to cylinders 1 and 4. The right side coil wires go to cylinders 2 and 3. You have the leads correct?
    I support entropy for all.

Nearly all Covid deaths in the U S are unvaccinated people.

Quote Originally Posted by earlfor View Post
    Viewed from sitting on the bike, the left coil plug wires are connected to cylinders 1 and 4. The right side coil wires go to cylinders 2 and 3. You have the leads correct?
    Yeah everything's correct, 4 just doesnt want to go. Swapped the leads around from 1 and 4 and swappeenthe work plug for one that surely works and nothing changed.

Lastnight I did a spray test on carb body 4 to make sure all circuits are clean and will operate properly, I dont know for sure if the pilot circuit was blocked at first but it definently is now. Gonna start up today and if in still running on 3 I'm gonna pull the plug cap off the spark plug just a bit in hopes of a better spark and an operating cylinder.

Fuel did get to the carb I just cant say if it got out.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ

GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Yeah everything's correct, 4 just doesnt want to go. Swapped the leads around from 1 and 4 and swappeenthe work plug for one that surely works and nothing changed.

Lastnight I did a spray test on carb body 4 to make sure all circuits are clean and will operate properly, I dont know for sure if the pilot circuit was blocked at first but it definently is now. Gonna start up today and if in still running on 3 I'm gonna pull the plug cap off the spark plug just a bit in hopes of a better spark and an operating cylinder.

Fuel did get to the carb I just cant say if it got out.

Do not run the engine without the plug caps in place. The caps are 5k ohm resistance and that is required unless you want to fry your ignitor/ignition. What you do is check the resistance in your plug caps. should be around 5k ohms if they are good to go. More than that replace them. Less than that replace them.
    Last edited by earlfor; 06-04-2021 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by earlfor View Post
    Do not run the engine without the plug caps in place. The caps are 5k ohm resistance and that is required unless you want to fry your ignitor/ignition. What you do is check the resistance in your plug caps. should be around 5k ohms if they are good to go. More than that replace them. Less than that replace them.
    No its be just a click off of being on there the full way, thatd be fine right because itd still make contact with the spark plug? One of them is about 5.7ohms but I thought thatd be fine.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ

GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

No its be just a click off of being on there the full way, thatd be fine right because itd still make contact with the spark plug? One of them is about 5.7ohms but I thought thatd be fine.
    it's ok if the caps arent pushed completely down as long as there is good contact.