No announcement yet.

Reasons my bike would go to twin mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know, you guys can keep these communications between yourselves with phone/text. Every time I see there’s a new post to this thread you get my hopes up that Ian’s bike is cured.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
      You know, you guys can keep these communications between yourselves with phone/text. Every time I see there’s a new post to this thread you get my hopes up that Ian’s bike is cured.
      Lmfao sorry if my schedule wasnt so flip flop you wouldve heard the news already
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
        I keep doing it because I figure Ian is more likely to check GSR posts than his text msgs. LOL However, tonight, just now, I spoke to him, got the info packed into his ear and he should be in the workshop assembling toys soon. lol Told him to call me if he runs into any snags. He will fill everyone in when he's got'er fixed.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
          I keep doing it because I figure Ian is more likely to check GSR posts than his text msgs. LOL However, tonight, just now, I spoke to him, got the info packed into his ear and he should be in the workshop assembling toys soon. lol Told him to call me if he runs into any snags. He will fill everyone in when he's got'er fixed.
          Definently will be, thanks earl!
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

One more question just to make sure when I put my charging system back on i dont mess anything else up, if the regulator is connected to the ignition switch, could that be causing a short? Are there any indicators that it would be that wire without testing? I'm gonna go ahead and check the resistance on it to see if I can get an answer if the wire is bad.

The grounds have been moved to an ensured spot and from what Rick's motorsport said. I should be fine with the stator aslong as it passes the resistance test, and the output test was also successful. Just trying to eliminate problems. Went ahead and checked stator resistance just now to double check and it mainly shows .8ohms between the legs but I will see .7 flash on the screen sometimes but also on all 3 legs, is that okay since they can all get to the same resistance? Could it be bad connections on the leg wires?
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

Ignition wire is .01 ohms so it's atleast not the wire that runs to the ignition switches plug, for the ignition switch itself would I have to take the bottom cover off to check the resistance between the ignition wire plug and where the wire ends? Nkt sure what it's called lol but i think i know where I'd be checking. Is that a common thing? The inside was very clean and the plugs dont have any corrosion on them.
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Went ahead and checked the negative battery ground resistance and that was fine, still need to check the ignition switch wire in the barrel if that's a common issue, more than likely will check before the days over. Gonna call Rick's and ask about that stator resistance flicking just to make sure it's fine, probably is aslong as they ready the same number lol. Everything should be in place and will start up when I get the regulator and sort it all out. We will see if earl is correct very soon!
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                  Ignition wire is .01 ohms so it's atleast not the wire that runs to the ignition switches plug, for the ignition switch itself would I have to take the bottom cover off to check the resistance between the ignition wire plug and where the wire ends? Nkt sure what it's called lol but i think i know where I'd be checking. Is that a common thing? The inside was very clean and the plugs dont have any corrosion on them.
                  Checking the resistance of a wire from end to end will do nothing when trying to determine if it's shorted to ground or another wire. To do that you have to check the resistance between the wire and ground (or another wire when looking for wire to wire shorts). When doing this you have to be mindful of circuits that have a path to ground or another wire and either disconnect/isolate that path or factor it in to your reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
                    Checking the resistance of a wire from end to end will do nothing when trying to determine if it's shorted to ground or another wire. To do that you have to check the resistance between the wire and ground (or another wire when looking for wire to wire shorts). When doing this you have to be mindful of circuits that have a path to ground or another wire and either disconnect/isolate that path or factor it in to your reading.
                    Can I use a testlight by chance? Have one and not sure if it makes it easier or not
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

Can I use a testlight by chance? Have one and not sure if it makes it easier or not
                      You can. A test light connected to battery positive will light up whenever the probe touches something connected to ground. As with a multi-meter, you have to be mindful of circuits that have a path to ground by design to not be deceived.

Comment

Ended up sleeping right after I came back, saw 8+ manatees lol.

Yeah i cant wait until this bike is done once I'm running on all 4 I will only have one issue and it's that shor circuit

I doubt you have a short circuit. You have a loose and corroded ground connection inside, or at your fuse box.
                        Possibly the large ground wire that connects to the top of the tranny (either end).
                        Last edited by earlfor; 06-11-2021, 01:57 PM.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I doubt you have a short circuit. You have a loose and corroded ground connection inside, or at your fuse box.
                          Possibly the large ground wire that connects to the top of the tranny (either end).
                          Okay will be looking at wiring diagram to check all grounds. I know it relates to the charging system because the bike acts fine when I have it disconnected. I changed the secondary battery ground and am gonna have the regulator ground on the negative battery terminal

Gonna see if theres any more to check. Think I'll be fine.
                          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                          1982 XS650

Comment

Okay will be looking at wiring diagram to check all grounds. I know it relates to the charging system because the bike acts fine when I have it disconnected. I changed the secondary battery ground and am gonna have the regulator ground on the negative battery terminal

Gonna see if theres any more to check. Think I'll be fine.
                            Adding an additional ground doesn't change anything. The fault is still wired into the system. What you're doing is like having the light in your living room flickering and then turning off the light in the bedroom expecting that to fix the problem. lol

Comment

Adding an additional ground doesn't change anything. The fault is still wired into the system. What you're doing is like having the light in your living room flickering and then turning off the light in the bedroom expecting that to fix the problem. lol
                              No I didnt add an additional ground my negative battery ground has two for some reason. Unless you're talking about the regulator which I'm not sure where else I should put it.

I'm sure it's odd my negative battery connection has 2 grounds but it does lol
                              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                              1982 XS650

Comment

No I didnt add an additional ground my negative battery ground has two for some reason. Unless you're talking about the regulator which I'm not sure where else I should put it.

I'm sure it's odd my negative battery connection has 2 grounds but it does lol
                                That just means either of them can be faulty. It only take one faulty to have the problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X